David Schneider

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
paolo

David Schneider

Post by paolo »

Sent through the homeaway network:
Name: david schneider
E-mail: davidschneider007@yahoo.com
Tel: + 44 +447031856247
Arrival date: Monday, 09 June 2008
Departure date: Monday, 23 June 2008
Total no in party: 4 (including children)
No of children: 0

Further info:
I am David Schneider , a medical director and i work
with the UNICEF here in UK. I will be coming over to
France on holiday vacation from the 9th of june on to
the 23rd of june 2008 for Vacation.

Could you please send me a more detailed description
of your accomodation and What's the cost of rental
per week or per night? Unicef will be paying you in
advance of our visit so that we can be assured of an
accomodation during our stay, because this is our
first visit to europe and Unicef is also taking care
of all my vacation expenses.

An early reply will be appreciated. Please
acknowledge if you can offer this accomodation
service to us, so we can conclude on all other
arrangements ASAP, as time is not really on our side.
Best Regards,
David Schneider
Social Work Cordinator,
Unicef Uk
Thanks very much and i hope to hear from you soon AND
HERE IS MY PHONE NUMBER +447031856247 INCASE YOU HAVE
SOME QUESTIONS THANKS
Paolo
Lay My Hat
A-two

Re: David Schneider

Post by A-two »

paolo wrote:
..... because this is our first visit to europe ........David Schneider.....Unicef Uk
Only let down by the geography, (and advance payment by a third party of course), but they are definitely getting smoother.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

A2, don't you think someone of that (suposed) standing would use caps appropriately?

Paolo, did you try his telephone number? :)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
A-two

Post by A-two »

GG,
Not in this instance, no, actually, I don't since sometimes I hit caplock in error and can't be bothered to change if it's just the odd word, and there are still some people out there who don't know where the caplock key is.

i was reading that article about how txt messaging language is filtering school essays and how they think that some of it will transform english as we know it permanently, for example capitalization after full stops. this is not regarded as any great loss and actually i kinda agree with that. i always like to be ahead of the curve myself, so i have now stopped using caps as a trial to see how i like it and how it is received. none of which has any relevance to your point......but i still don't think caps on it's own is a reason to identify a scam, any more than lack of capitalization - it just indicates text messaging syndrome. :wink:
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

A2 wrote:
... capitalization after full stops. this is not regarded as any great loss and actually i kinda agree with that.
I guess that we adapt our use of language to reflect the situation - for example, talking (or writing) informally to friends as opposed to chairing (or compiling the record of) an important business meeting. To me, that's fine. It reflects our sophisticated understanding of our language(s) and their deftness as an instrument of communication. But you have to be able to switch modes as appropriate. The bleeding of 'text language' into emails and letters is inappropriate because it can hinder meaning (and it's sooooo ugly).

From the US Library of Congress:
During the late 1920s, early 1930s and 1990s the Library of Congress acquired a large collection of Arabic script calligraphy sheets. Calligraphy was a skill to be mastered, and it was heavily used to express religious sentiment and many other aspects of personal and cultural life. This collection showcases stunning examples of calligraphic art, including illuminated panels, albums and poems. The collection of Arabic script calligraphy is truly one of the Library's hidden treasures.
Will texting become another of the Library's hidden treasures in the future?

Jim
Giddy Goat

Re: David Schneider

Post by Giddy Goat »

paolo wrote:Sent through the homeaway network:

Further info:
I am David Schneider ,[/b] a medical director and i work with the UNICEF here in UK. I will be coming over to France on holiday vacation from the 9th ofjune on to the 23rd of june 2008 for Vacation.

Could you please send me a more detailed description
of your accomodation and What's the cost of rental
per week or per night? Unicef will be paying you in
advance of our visit so that we can be assured of an
accomodation during our stay, because this is our
first visit to europe and Unicef is also taking care
of all my vacation expenses.

An early reply will be appreciated. Please
acknowledge if you can offer this accomodation
service to us, so we can conclude on all other
arrangements ASAP, as time is not really on our side.
Best Regards,
David Schneider
Social Work Cordinator,
Unicef Uk
Thanks very much and i hope to hear from you soon AND
HERE IS MY PHONE NUMBER +447031856247 INCASE YOU HAVE
SOME QUESTIONS THANKS
Hmmm,well, at the risk of being accused of making a sweeping generalisation, a person who purports to have that level of education and responsibility would surely not send an email to anyone of such sloppiness - especially a business email - lower case when upper case should have been used and vice versa, not simply a preference for lower case throughout the text.

There are other errors too - I've marked most of them in bold.

In addition:

would anyone say 'holiday vacation'? And, not satisfied with that, repeat the word 'vacation' in the same sentence?

And isn't he rather too keen to say that Unicef is footing the bill? Is that relevant, even?

As you say A2, smoother than most, but smacks still of a certain naivety.
Last edited by Giddy Goat on Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Cassis

Post by Cassis »

It's somewhat easier to spot where one sentence ends and another begins if the new sentence begins with a capital letter. In fact, properly punctuated sentences are almost always easier to read.

i was reading that article about how txt messaging language is filtering school essays and how they think that some of it will transform english as we know it permanently, for example capitalization after full stops. this is not regarded as any great loss and actually i kinda agree with that. i always like to be ahead of the curve myself, so i have now stopped using caps as a trial to see how i like it and how it is received. none of which has any relevance to your point......but i still don't think caps on it's own is a reason to identify a scam, any more than lack of capitalization - it just indicates text messaging syndrome.

I was reading that article about how txt messaging language is filtering school essays and how they think that some of it will transform english as we know it permanently - for example, capitalization after full stops. This is not regarded as any great loss and actually I kinda agree with that. I always like to be ahead of the curve myself, so I have now stopped using caps as a trial to see how I like it and how it is received. None of which has any relevance to your point, but I still don't think caps on it's own is a reason to identify a scam, any more than lack of capitalization - it just indicates text messaging syndrome.

Just a personal preference. :)
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
Likes ducks, nature, gardening, furniture restoration, DIY, rugby, blah, blah.
paolo

Post by paolo »

There is enough in the first sentence to indicate a scam:

"I am [name]" is de rigueur in scam emails.
"with the UNICEF" (although this is technically correct I don't think anyone uses it)
"in UK"
Paolo
Lay My Hat