welcome packs

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

it's left on our doorstep every morning in glass bottles by the milkman ;)

M&S also sell it :)
http://www.gozoluxury.co.uk
actually quite nice apartment in Gozo!
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

We used to drink fresh milk but have changed to UHT and hardly notice the difference. There is often very little fresh milk in the supermarkets, most here buy the UHT. Our guests however would turn their noses up at it, as most are used to fresh.

Chianti
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

What does UHT stand for anyway? Ultra-Horrible Taste?

With tea, Rab? Dangling a tea bag in a lukewarm cup of water, then drenching said mixture in UHT would have Mr Twining spinning in his grave......

I know you're all teasing the Brits.

MG
Last edited by Mountain Goat on Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

ultra heat treated :lol:
the lactose gets caramelised, hence the taste!
catherinedonegal

Post by catherinedonegal »

i think a welcome pack should be a surprise to the guests and imo loo roll and tea bags should not be part of it.

i think that given we are in ireland i will leave a basket with smoked salmon, brown bread, a bottle of wine (or 2) and a bottle of juice for non-drinkers and a bottle or 2 of mineral water and maybe some irish cheeses and some homemade jams.

and after being on this site i think i will lead a necissities pack: couple of loo rolls, tea/coffee/sugar/milk etc.

but i do think the welcome pack should be a surprise and WELCOME surprise.

eta: the local grocery store is about 3 seconds walk from the house.
Last edited by catherinedonegal on Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

You beat me to it, TP!
Tsk, what a pampered lot you are! 8)
Last edited by Rocket Rab on Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

I LOVE my milkman :oops:
(in a non biblical sense you understand!!)
catherinedonegal

Post by catherinedonegal »

tree-peony wrote:I LOVE my milkman :oops:
(in a non biblical sense you understand!!)

waaaaaaaaaay too much information tp. :D
Wol

Post by Wol »

T-P - Many thanks. Unfortunately the milkman would have to leave any milk delivery on the street for us, as he wouldn't be able to access our front step, but I do work quite close to an M&S, so I will check them out.
Wol
Not the Wizard of Aus - that's MOH

http://daysontheclaise.blogspot.com/
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

I definitely don't agree about the welcome pack being a surprise. We call ours a welcome pack but it is a combination of first breakfast and essentials for while their stay. It is in the fridge and on the work surface of the kitchen, not in a basket for that reason:

"Your welcome pack includes: Kitchen – enough for your first breakfast and day to day cooking needs: 1 litre milk, pack of 8 part-baked rolls, olive oil spread, jam, muesli, coffee beans, small jar of instant coffee, English tea bags, sugar, salt & pepper, sunflower oil, vinegar & olive oil, washing up liquid, tablets for dishwasher, washing up cloth and scourer, roll of kitchen towel. Bathrooms – toilet rolls, Nivea liquid soap and shower gel, paper tissues, bathroom cleaner and cloth. "

They also get fruit from the orchard in season.

We also have what is now called by most guests our "shop", with frozen pizzas and home made ready meals, pasta and sauce, breakfast cereals, chocolate, extra tea bags and coffee beans, milk, yoghurt, fruit juice, jam (home made), local honey, packs of cheese and ham, wine, beer and soft drinks and toiletries.

Food and drink is organic if possible.

A lot of guests arrive after the village supermarket is closed and shops here are all closed on Sunday. Nobody starves here!

At the moment we give returning guests a bottle of wine or beer. Recently we had some non-drinkers return so Martin made them a loaf of home made bread.

Re: milk. Several guests have commented recently that they could not find fresh milk at the supermarket. Probably because there is not a large section as in the UK? Anyway, we only buy fresh, organic milk and never buy UHT.
Poulpe

Post by Poulpe »

We leave the basic basics, tea, coffee, oil, pasta + sauce etc and add some local stuff - home made bread, Normandy butter, organic fresh milk, plus eggs, cider and apple juice from our neighbours. We also hope to generate a bit of income for the commune this way.
regards
P
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Teabags and loo roll are not part of the welcome pack, they are just provided in the apartment. Whether I can increase what I already offer will depend on how my apt. manager feels about doing the extra shopping. If only I could do it online, and she just had to collect it.
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Helen

I agree the necessity items such as tea, coffee, oil, vinegar, salt etc Loo rolls, bin liners, soap are different from

Welcome pack wine, milk, bottled water, home made bread, jam etc

We do both

Chianti
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

MG, what you need is a Bread Maker. Self-catering and B&B guests all love home made bread. It is not expensive to make and it lasts really well. I have foolproof recipe... Once you have used one you will never look back. I know baguettes are very French but as you say they don't keep fresh so they are really only any use if you are going to eat them straight away.

Lidl regularly have offers on them for less than €50. Sometimes they have two small pans and sometimes one large one. Which might be best for you depends on how you would intend to use it.
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

For those who have trouble getting fresh milk and loathe UHT (as we do) try the Flora Semi. It is more expensive but much more like the real thing in taste. We used it for six years until we were able to get semi-skimmed fresh and even now we keep it in for emergencies. OH says he can't tell the difference and son (when he visits) says he prefers it. The full fat version is very rich.
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com