Cheques in the post

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Vera

Cheques in the post

Post by Vera »

Took a booking from 2 Danes, 2 weeks ago. They planned to make a bank transfer but a week later said they would bring cash. They arrived on Saturday saying they had made a bank transfer from Danish kroner to euros on Weds, nothing has arrived by this AM, tuesday.
Last thursday was the May day holiday and they have shown a bank transfer receipt which shows they paid on Friday, one day before they arrived.
Am I being ripped off, any experiences of transfers from Denmark to Euro banks.
Any experiences of Danes, we have another couple booked for August and their deposit hasn't arrived yet.

Vera
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

We don't confirm bookings until we have received payment. I would tell your second lot of Danes this, give them 5 days to get the money to you and then release the dates.
I would show the transfer document to your bank and ask if it looks OK. They money should arrive in 3-4 days at the most. I would ask them for credit card details to guarantee the payment. It is tricky once they are there - you don't want to upset them so they trash the place!
Some people are just casual about payment we have found - just don't understand the urgency because they know they have paid/will pay and think you should know that too. Others are ripping you off.
Marks

Post by Marks »

Difficult one but I would have insisted on cash on arrival regardless of whether or not they claimed to have made the transfer. That way you are covered and if the transfer arrives they get a refund.

I have had plenty of Danes over the years, good guests that pay on time, leave the place clean and tidy and don't cause any problems. I prefer them to some of my other guests.

I've had a look back at my records and transfers from Denmark take 4 or 5 working days to arrive. I usually wait 7 working days and then chase for payment. More often than not the transfer gets slightly delayed as the guest has to go to the bank to make the transfer although some can do international transfers via the web. The quickest payment from Denmark was 24 hours.
Vera

Post by Vera »

The money has arrived!
The problem with this payment was them arriving at 11.30 pm on Saturday night and saying they had transferred the money when I was expecting cash, I didn't really feel like an argument at this time of night with guests I would see on a regular basis for the next week. A difficult one to call.
We generally avoid COA from guests we don't know.

They seem decent people who are having a good time staying here.

Vera