David Ashford

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
esentziak

David Ashford

Post by esentziak »

I think this is a scam.

Honeymoon in Lyon ? I love the place and I am happy to live in it, but would I want to spend my honeymoon in an apartment in Lyon ? or give it as a gift for a couple ? No.

Also I think the request is too vague when the information is already available on the website and the errors in grammar and the structure of the sentences is a bit off for somebody whose name is typically English.

Just thought I would pass it on. I am not going to reply.

Best regards

Dominique
Goosey

Post by Goosey »

Er...is that it? Have you actually included the email or am I missing something?
esentziak

Oops !

Post by esentziak »

Here is the email.
Hi,

I will like to make a reservation for 15 days for friends who will come there for honeymoon its my gift to them since i cannot attend their wedding.The dates are 14th to 28th June. Let me know if there is any vacancy. Please get back to me with your availability and your mode of rentals,if it is by night,weekly or monthly soonest. i will be expecting your response. Thanks

David Ashford

It is definitely a scam, I found more or less the same wording, and different names, on similar requests for gites in Alsace in January, etc.

Best regards

Dominique
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Dominique

Your'e right it is. I think I've had that one too, but generally, all scams seek long stays, as they make more money from the chumps who fall for themm they have a poor command of English and offer too many personal details.

Chianti
geoffreycoan

Honeymoon scam booking - Glenn King

Post by geoffreycoan »

Thanks to the others who have posted details of their suspicious bookings here, I just received one from "Glenn King" with a yahoo.com email address:

"Hi,
I will like to make a reservation for 21 days for friends who will come there for honeymoon its my gift to them since i cannot attend their wedding. Let me know if there is any vacancy for the month of August 29th to September 18TH 2008 or any other dates you have available, I will await your response
Regards,
Glenn King"

I was immediately suspicious that there wasn't any contact details provided other than an email address and it just didn't "smell right". I think the clincher was that the booking request was in just 6 weeks time ... would you genuinely book a 3 week honeymoon present for someone without giving sufficient notice? If it was for a date in mid-next year then maybe I'd have believed it credible.

Then finding an identical booking request on LMH sealed their fate. I won't be replying
Les Vallees Gite, central rural Brittany - http://www.giteinbrittany.com
TTP mk2

Post by TTP mk2 »

So I guess I can forget this one:

HI,

i will like to rent this house for friends who will come there for

honeymoon its my gift to them since i cannot attend their wedding. Let me know

if there is any vacancy in 2008 get back to with your weekly rent . how much

per a week?

Regards

Dave
"Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools."

Group Captain Sir Douglas Bader
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

HI,

i will like to rent this house for friends who will come there for

honeymoon its my gift to them since i cannot attend their wedding. Let me know

if there is any vacancy in 2008 get back to with your weekly rent . how much
You ought to say,

we're fully booked for 2008 maybe your friends could postpone their wedding :roll: :wink:
geoffreycoan

Post by geoffreycoan »

Big Sis.. wrote:You ought to say,

we're fully booked for 2008 maybe your friends could postpone their wedding :roll: :wink:
Love it!

I think clicking the "Junk" button is more satisfying - I wouldn't want yet more spam emails than I get already :)
Les Vallees Gite, central rural Brittany - http://www.giteinbrittany.com
TTP mk2

Post by TTP mk2 »

geoffreycoan wrote:I think clicking the "Junk" button is more satisfying - I wouldn't want yet more spam emails than I get already :)
This one was via a booking site, so unfortunately not as simple as junking it.
"Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools."

Group Captain Sir Douglas Bader