image recognition upon registration

To suggest improvements and additions to the forum, or ask about technical difficulties using the forum.
vrooje

image recognition upon registration

Post by vrooje »

Does the forum require image recognition required before new members can register?

I've seen this on other forums -- before you can sign up, you have to re-type the random characters printed on an auto-generated image. This makes it so that automated scripts can't sign up for the forum.

I just can't remember if I had to do that when signing up for Lay My Hat!
Brooke
paolo

Post by paolo »

No, it's more basic than that unfortunately.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Would that sort of thing be hard to implement? I am almost certain I've seen it on other forums like this (not just other forums, but forums that appear to use the same software).
Brooke
paolo

Post by paolo »

I will find out. I have seen it on other forum software, I didn't think it was an option with phpBB.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
charles

Post by charles »

It is with version 2.0.11 or above. You will probably need to check GD (http://www.boutell.com/gd) is installed on your server to use the feature.

Post by paolo »

Yes it is available on this software, thanks to you and jacmgr for pointing it out, and I have set it to 'on'. Hopefully that will foil the spammers.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

paolo wrote:Hopefully that will foil the spammers.
I'm sure that it will at least foil the automated ones! Maybe now we won't get so many new users whose location is "USA" and whose interests are "internet" -- you can spot them from that even before checking the URL!

Cheers!
Brooke