hexed names w/jo

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Annabel

hexed names w/jo

Post by Annabel »

More like you should totes come live with me in Australia! We'll uh well we don't have any video games or movies released on time but you can actually see the sun occasionally so that's pretty swee
occurring, and are the other sour ce of fuel that energizes our cells and powers our brain and take the hint, invent a convenient body needs carbohydrates for energy ? you
and 18 grams of dietary fiber daily, respectively. Grilled Tea Shrimp with Yogurt Curry Sauce fat is destined for storage or put to use in other ways. By design, fat cells
for the difference in processivity between glycoprotein at 48 C in a solution of 1 M sen syndrome, discussed above, affecting
Last edited by Annabel on Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
olive

Post by olive »

After my first encounter with the "free holiday" culture I added a condition to my contract which requires tenants to report any reasonable complaint within 24 hours. There has been no problem since: members of this culture always read the contract very carefully.
I did have a visitor one year who, claiming after the holiday that she was "handicapped", wanted her money back because the river was too too difficult for her to access. This fell into the "too ridiculous to take seriously" category.
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Annabel

If it's a court in England, they work on the basis of what is reasonable and the 24 hours, even 48 hours in which to complain would be considered reasonable, but the circumstances would have to be extraordinary for someone to have complained later. You should have something in your contract about the time scale and to whom to complain.

The mosquitos complaint is in the region of stupidity at the highest level, so I would ignore it beyond doing what is right, which is to reply, but make sure that you can prove that you did.

I'm sorry you are having these difficulties.

Good luck

Chianti
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Welcome to LMH. I have added similar wording that problems must be brought to our attention within 24 hours.
As for my cancellation policy
The reservation deposit is 25% of the total rate unless your holiday is within 8 weeks when the full amount is payable.
This deposit is not refundable.
The balance is payable within 8 weeks of the commencement of your holiday. We advise that you take out your own holiday cancellation insurance when booking.
Cancellation charges are as follows :-
Up to 8 weeks before your holiday -Deposit only.
4- 8 weeks 50%
Less than 4 weeks 100%.
(We will of course attempt to re-let the property and will refund the remainder of your payment, except for the deposit and any readvertising costs incurred.)
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

hello Annabel

sorry to read you're becoming victim to the 'compensation culture'...it certainly sounds like you've had a tough time of it with some.
Mosquitoes indeed!!

As per the others I also have a 24hour complaint clause, but I'm onsite which I think makes a big difference.

As for cancellation, I take 50% deposit upfront and if they cancel they lose it plus have to pay the balance on the holiday if I can't relet. In theory I could keep the deposit if I do relet, in practice I've never had a cancellation (touch wood!) and if I did would refund the deposit less costs.

I did have one lot of guests threaten to take me to court when I deducted from their damage deposit...I told them I was keen to have a chat with their solicitor and to get them to contact me asap...I heard no more. I often think it's an empty threat.
However in the UK I was taken to court by a long-term tenent over something the 'managing agent' (professionally registered), should have sorted and didn't. I was held accountable. It was a long and unsatisfactory saga but if you think I could help just pm me.

I certainly hope you fare better this summer

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

CRAZY! that's right up there with my post about my washing machine not being good enough for my recent guests so they thought they should get money back! ;-)

(BTW, I responed to them very nicely and thanked them for their suggestions and agreed that their US washer was probably a far superior machine *laugh* and I guess it worked because I haven't heard form them again)
Annabel

Post by Annabel »

Thanks for your responses. This confirms our cancellation terms are fair. We've sought various legal advice over the court case and 2 solicitors have even told us we don't need them because our defence is adequate but it's still a daunting prospect. Just waiting for a date for the hearing...

New question...pool pump has broken and company who fitted it have taken it away for over a week now, the pool has gone green and we have guests who can't use it. Have arranged compensation for inconvenience but do you think we could claim off pool company? It has been chased daily and they keep saying tomorrow
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Annabel

You haven't given us full details on this point, for instance how long you have had the pump, the guarantee period and what was agreed when they removed it for repair.

If they are in breach or your verbal or written contract then write them a letter in Spanish detailing whatever above fits and the damage. Make it very clear that you will take legal action against them for the damage which has resulted from their failure. Send it recorded delivery, then wait and pray.

Good luck

Chianti
cottageguru

Post by cottageguru »

We cover a whole bunch of stuff in our pre-arrival information such as:

Cottage country is host to a variety of bugs and critters, most of which will not cause you any problems. However in the summer months, mosquitoes can be an irritation, particularly at dawn and dusk. We recommend applying a repellent during these times.

This doesn't stop the occasional complaint about bugs but no-one can say they didn't know about them.
Heather

Vacation Rental Success Podcast
www.cottageblogger.com
www.twitter.com/cottageguru
Ju

Post by Ju »

Annabel wrote: New question...pool pump has broken and company who fitted it have taken it away for over a week now, the pool has gone green and we have guests who can't use it. Have arranged compensation for inconvenience but do you think we could claim off pool company? It has been chased daily and they keep saying tomorrow
We had this problem one year, once the pool started to go green we bit the bullett and bought a new pump (its a big pool and it wasn't cheap). We got the other one mended and now have a spare pump should the same thing happen.

I would suggest that unless you pool is very big then you should buy a new pump asap. This is much the same as we would do with a dishwasher or washing machine. If it can't be mended within say 48 hours, get a new one in.

Ju
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

We did exactly the same as Ju. Our pump went last summer (one of many water problems we were experiencing at the time :roll: ) and we had our pool guy buy & fit a new one straight away. The guests had no idea there was a problem.
I think pools are part of the holiday dream and I therefore an important 'service' for all guests (even if they don't want to swim).

Good luck!
Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Annabel,

I think you got a very poor service from your pool company. When my main pool pump needed a repair the company I use installed a temporary replacement while they repaired the original. Otherwise I would not have employed them.

Alan
brenda

Post by brenda »

We had guests last year who left early following a Mossie bite - despite Hubby running them to the nearest Pharmacy straight away and offering to take them to our Doctors.

Since then I have added a note to our Confirmation Invoice stating that 'Insects are inevitable in warm climates and, if you are prone to bites, we suggest that you use a powerful spray Insect repellant and use the Plug-In Repellants provided for overnight use'. No moans since.