they want address but gave me no info.

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
alifrank1

Post by alifrank1 »

I had an enquiry last night who wanted my address. I gave them the road name and also my website which shows exactly where it is on Google Earth. This morning they booked :D

I understand how difficult it may be if you are in a remote part of the country and the availability calendar is not too full, but cannot see a problem when there are other properties around. I think many guests like to know exactly where they will be these days. I find it's quite an innocent question to ask.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Fraise wrote:Hi all. Interesting stuff, with as usual no rights or wrongs, just what's right for each of us. I have never been asked to prove who I was nor asked for the address, which I do not give out until payment received in full. If I get asked in future and loose a booking because of it, so be it :roll:
As this is a thread about “Scam E-mail Enquiries” I must say I am much more suspicious of some enquirers than they could possibly be of me.

I can’t help but wonder; does anyone get a full address and a Google Map or a Google Earth location from their enquirers. After all, “what’s sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander”.

I quite like the relative anonymity that living in rural France gives me. The road which serves my property has neither a name nor a number. My property doesn’t have a name, it simply share a name with the rest of the hameau in which I live. It’s difficult to find until I provide a visitor with detailed instructions and a local map and then it is terribly easy to find.

In addition, anyone trying to identify my property by using Google Earth will discover that Google Earth is hopeless for that purpose. It’s at least two years out of date and the resolution is pathetic. Here’s a challenge for any LMH member – find my property by using Google Earth. There are no prizes to be had unless you turn up at my front door in which case you will get a great welcome and a bottle of the local wine on my terrace.

Alan
paolo

Post by paolo »

Here’s a challenge for any LMH member – find my property by using Google Earth
Alan,

Is this it?
Paolo
Lay My Hat
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Alan wrote:As this is a thread about “Scam E-mail Enquiries"...
Funny, I considered moving this to the "Handling Rental Enquiries" section. Then decided to keep it in the scam section as I was about to post about a possible scam/address harvesting method.
Brooke
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

paolo wrote:
Here’s a challenge for any LMH member – find my property by using Google Earth
Alan,

Is this it?
Paolo,

Very close but that’s as close as Google Earth gets. You’ve found the hameau but you haven’t identified my home or my gites. In total there are 12 properties in Regis. Which is which? It doesn’t matter, when you arrive just ask and you will be told. When will that be? The wine is ready.

Alan
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

You can't find my place with Google Earth. There is a strategically placed cloud over my gites, so at least people know what to expect weatherwise 8)