Dr Stan

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
goosie

Dr Stan

Post by goosie »

I read through your vacation home detailed
information, I and my wife love to reserve it. we
need a quote for the above date if available, Anyway
our date is flexible, We have no pets, Just me and my
wife. Thanks
Dr Stan
I may be wrong but it is an interesting request for a house that sleeps 9. And my friend who rents locally had one too, for a different date.

Replied, of course, just in case and readnotify says that, of course, it comes from Nigeria! They did come back asking for a different date so have sent them a polite email to say that we could offer a different date and I was suprised that they were so flexible coming all the way from Nigeria as I would have though they would have to check flights! But they are welcome to book if they are intreseted.

still waiting to hear..... :)

I'm waiting to see
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

It is best not to reply if you are sure it is a scam - it just tells these people that your email address is functioning and looked at regularly - guaranteeing you get lots more.
We used to get masses of these but I don't think we have had one for some months now.
goosie

Post by goosie »

I thought I would alert holiday-rentals about this. Here was their odd reply
Good morning,

Thank you for contacting us with regards to an email which you suspect could be a phishing attempt. We can confirm that the email which you asked us to investigate was not a phishing attempt, but simply an enquiry from a potential guest through Holiday-Rentals.co.uk. The email address is a yahoo one and the contact is a UK number. We would however advise that you tread with caution and contact us if he requires information you are not comfortable with.
I thought it odd because

a. I know this email originated from nigeria
b. The booking is for 2 people in a 9 bed house with no detail knowledge of our house
c. the mobile number given is an 0703 number which anti-spam websites clearly note are not nec. UK numbers but mobiles that can be diverted.

You would have thought that holiday-rentals would be a bit more on the ball with this. Or am I completely wrong and this is a genuine enquiry that happens to come from Nigeria with an 0703 mobile number???
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Goosie

You are right, it's a scam. I think I would have asked Dr Stan if he's a witch doctor or a medical one :lol:

Chianti
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Goosie
:)

I thought I would alert holiday-rentals about this. Here was their odd reply

Quote:
Good morning,

Thank you for contacting us with regards to an email which you suspect could be a phishing attempt. We can confirm that the email which you asked us to investigate was not a phishing attempt, but simply an enquiry from a potential guest through Holiday-Rentals.co.uk. The email address is a yahoo one and the contact is a UK number. We would however advise that you tread with caution and contact us if he requires information you are not comfortable with.

Well Goosie, Im shocked that they havent taken this seriously.

Whenever Ive reported Scam emails to Listing sites, theyve always dealt with them quickly, and thanked me for informing them......

H-R Do seem to have their eye off the ball lately!!!!!
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

It's got all the signs including the fact that he's "Dr" - however it would be fun to try his phone number! :lol:

Pathetic response of H-R's, :x
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be