How do you block spam from Outlook?

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
Chianti

How do you block spam from Outlook?

Post by Chianti »

I'm getting spam from a Listing Site and now wish to use a Spam guarding system which one do you trust?

Chianti
Alan Knighting

Re: How do you block spam from Outlook?

Post by Alan Knighting »

Chianti wrote:I'm getting spam from a Listing Site and now wish to use a Spam guarding system which one do you trust?

Chianti
My spam filters are set up in my account with my ISP (Orange). They are very effective in that they filter out about 60 messages a day. I do not receive the spam messages onto my PC but I can look at them, move them or delete them if I want to by logging into my Orange account.

This spam filter appears to be recommended in the Microsoft Office Marketplace. InBoxer It might worth looking at. OK, it's not free but at £17 it’s not all that expensive.

Alan
TTP mk2

Re: How do you block spam from Outlook?

Post by TTP mk2 »

Alan Knighting wrote: My spam filters are set up in my account with my ISP (Orange). They are very effective in that they filter out about 60 messages a day. I do not receive the spam messages onto my PC but I can look at them, move them or delete them if I want to by logging into my Orange account.
I don't like the idea of an ISP deciding what e-mail I receive & then having to look through slow web pages to find the 'false positives'
This spam filter appears to be recommended in the Microsoft Office Marketplace. InBoxer It might worth looking at. OK, it's not free but at £17 it’s not all that expensive.
I have used InBoxer & it's quite good but you still have to go through it's spam folder to find the 'false positives'

I just use filters without outlook which deletes e-mails with certain words in the title or content or from certain countries.
Then the delete button for the rest.
"Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools."

Group Captain Sir Douglas Bader
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

TTP mk2 wrote:I don't like the idea of an ISP deciding what e-mail I receive & then having to look through slow web pages to find the 'false positives'…

I have used InBoxer & it's quite good but you still have to go through it's spam folder to find the 'false positives'…

I just use filters without outlook which deletes e-mails with certain words in the title or content or from certain countries...
Nick,

As a general observation I don’t think it is even vaguely possible that any spam filter can be totally infallible. There will inevitably be examples of genuine messages being treated as spam and of spam messages being treated as genuine messages.

Your approach of deciding what is or is not spam based on what words are or are not being used in titles or in content absolutely guarantees that some genuine messages will be treated as spam. In addition, I think you go far too far in making spam decisions based on country of origin.

You comments on my ISP deciding what e-mail I receive and “looking through slow web pages” are simply not true. I set up my filters on my ISP so it is me who makes the decision of what is or is not treated as spam. I am on broadband and it takes me less than 2 minutes a day to go through the whole process.

In addition to my approach towards spam I also have Outlook separating what appears to be junk mail from what appears to be genuine mail.

The end result of my approach to spam is that, while I can look at everything addressed to me, spam is never downloaded to my PC and junk is separated out. That keeps my Inbox free of rubbish and I think it goes a long way towards avoiding virus attacks – I’ve only had one virus in the last two years.

Alan
TTP mk2

Post by TTP mk2 »

Alan Knighting wrote:Your approach of deciding what is or is not spam based on what words are or are not being used in titles or in content absolutely guarantees that some genuine messages will be treated as spam.
You have no idea what words or phases I filter on, so you can't say that.
In addition, I think you go far too far in making spam decisions based on country of origin.
I can live with-out genuine e-mails from Taiwan but I should have said I also filter on character sets.
I set up my filters on my ISP so it is me who makes the decision of what is or is not treated as spam.
Ok, then FT/Orange is the only ISP I know that allows the user to configure spam settings.
I am on broadband and it takes me less than 2 minutes a day to go through the whole process.
It depends on how many spam messages you get but when I have used the Orange web interface it takes over a minute to move onto the next page & line speed is nothing to do with that. The time it takes to highlight & delete real spam is the same in outlook as on line, so why waste minutes waiting for on-line pages to load.
I’ve only had one virus in the last two years.
That's one more than me in the last 15 years.

Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

TTP mk2 wrote:It depends on how many spam messages you get but when I have used the Orange web interface it takes over a minute to move onto the next page..…
Your experience with Orange is quite different from mine. I find it moves from one page to another within a few moments.
The time it takes to highlight & delete real spam is the same in outlook as on line, so why waste minutes waiting for on-line pages to load…..
On-line I can display spam in as long a list as I like, I can select the whole list and delete the lot having confirmed I want to do so – that is three clicks and no downloading time.

With Outlook I first have to download the messages then I must highlight each one and then click to delete. That puts them in the Deleted folder so I must go to that folder and repeat the process – that’s lots of clicks and lots of downloading time.

I use the on-line method first thing each morning to clear out 50-60 spam messages. For the rest of the day I use the Outlook method to clear out 5-6 spam messages.

Alan
TTP mk2

Post by TTP mk2 »

Alan Knighting wrote:Your experience with Orange is quite different from mine. I find it moves from one page to another within a few moments.
Obviously, I've just checked & it takes 38 seconds to move from one page of 100 messages to the next, that is with 788 messages in my in box.

Although, for me, that's irreverent anyway, I collect e-mail from 11 POP3 accounts.
With Outlook I first have to download the messages
I do that automatically (every 10 minutes)
then I must highlight each one
Ctrl A highlights them all.
and then click to delete.
Or press the delete button.
That puts them in the Deleted folder so I must go to that folder and repeat the process
Click the deleted folder & them 'Empty Deleted Items'
– that’s lots of clicks and lots of downloading time.
Not the way I do it & I'm on ADSL so downloading time is irreverent.
use the on-line method first thing each morning to clear out 50-60 spam messages. For the rest of the day I use the Outlook method to clear out 5-6 spam messages.
OK, as a comparison, on my primary mail account, I use a loose SpamAssassin on the server, that removes about 60%, then my Outlook filters remove about 300 a day & I manually delete another 50 or 60.

Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

It might be irreverent to mention, but I assume you mean irrelevant?

Or is that irrelevant?

MG
TTP mk2

Post by TTP mk2 »

Bruddy speel chuckers

Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Nick,

At the end of the day the one thing you have established is that you handle the reception of e-mail messages in a different way from me.

Alan
ChuckEgg

Post by ChuckEgg »

I've been using www.Cloudmark.com for several years to nearly eliminate spam. I receive about 200 emails per day, and Cloudmark successfully filters it to leave only the valid emails.

Cloudmark is about $35 per year, and I consider it a great bargain at that price.

Chuck Eglinton
Chuck Eglinton
http://www.ChuckEgg.com <- My Blog
http://www.Mickeytown.com <- large side-by-side rental homes near Walt Disney World
mario

Post by mario »

I have been using choicemail for over a year now,very happy with it.
TTP mk2

Post by TTP mk2 »

ChuckEgg wrote:Cloudmark successfully filters it to leave only the valid emails.
I'm not being facetious but how do you know it doesn't filter legitimate messages ?

Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

TTP mk2 wrote:
ChuckEgg wrote:Cloudmark successfully filters it to leave only the valid emails.
I'm not being facetious but how do you know it doesn't filter legitimate messages ?
Nick,

I know my approach to handling e-mails works and I’m equally sure so does yours. I think our individual approaches to handling e-mails means we need know nothing about Cloudmark and/or its filters.

Alan