David Woolaghan

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
Nightowl

David Woolaghan

Post by Nightowl »

I have had an enquiry from the above named and I'm just not sure about it. It's from an American address but the english used seems to be classic scam.

I am David Woolaghan, I read through your vacation
home detailed information, I and my wife chose to
reserve it. we need a quote for the above date if
available, Anyway our date is flexible to reserve. We
have no pets, Just me and my wife.
Thanks
David Woolaghan
home address....2633 N. Lexington Drive Apt. 30
Janesville, Wisconsin 53545

As I wasn't sure I responded and sure enough he has come back to me with

Hello,
How are you doing. Thanks for the quote. I and my wife have concluded to make the full payment to reserve the home for our vacation. Kindly send me your:
Name
Address
City, State and Zip.
That will be on my bank official check. I want you to email me the agreement. i will sign and scan it back to you.
Thanks
Dave

Hasn't yet suggested the old overpayment trick but I am sure that will come next. Alarm bells rang when he asks for zip code etc - he is asking about a flat in LONDON, we don't have city, state or zip codes.

At the moment I have responded that we do not take cheques, only paypal or bank transfer... but I'm not entirely sure whether I even should be giving out my bank details

Anyone else had similar from this person? I'm 99% sure it's a scam attempt but what do you all think? I'm sure if anyone else had posted this I would be saying 'yep, scam'.....
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......
goosie

Post by goosie »

Hi nightowl - your person matches the dr stan scam email I highlighted in an earlier post (which holiday-rentals said was a genuine request - funny that someone who claims to be in the UK (it was actually ivory coast) having almost word for word request from someone in North America. I don't think so!

my enquirer

I read through your vacation home detailed
information, I and my wife love to reserve it. we
need a quote for the above date if available, Anyway
our date is flexible, We have no pets, Just me and my
wife. Thanks
Dr Stan
your enquirer
I am David Woolaghan, I read through your vacation
home detailed information, I and my wife chose to
reserve it. we need a quote for the above date if
available, Anyway our date is flexible to reserve. We
have no pets, Just me and my wife.
Thanks
don't bother to entertain them any more
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Yahoo?

MG
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

thanks goosie. I just had a look at your Dr Stan one - mainly really just to check whether I'd replied to it myself and said 'Scam!'.

It's always so obvious when someone else posts these types of messages but when you get them yourself you somehow try and give them the benefit of the doubt....

maybe we are all just toooooo caring about our prospective guests...

I had already sent it to H-R - wonder if I will get a similar reply to the one you got?
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......