Worst Souvenir Competition

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
Sue Dyer

Worst Souvenir Competition

Post by Sue Dyer »

We had this comp running in an old job of mine and it turned up some horrible entries. The rules were the souvenir had to be awful… not bad taste, just plain bad – something on sale in all seriousness that someone might buy in good faith and take home for their unsuspecting friends and family.

Well at the end of the year I won with the entry below. It would be hard to get a photo to do total justice to the, well, plain awfulness of this. I know it looks like a gold plastic t**d on a blue plastic stand but it is…… Mt St Michele - honest!

I knew I was in with a cracking chance of a good entry when I saw the standard of the stuff on offer in the gift shops there and knew I was on a winner when I picked out this one... The shop keeper even gift wrapped it for me, bless her. :)

So - when you go on your holidays or look in the gift shops around your region can you beat this little beauty?? If you'd like instructions on how to get your pic onto the forum PM me or there's prev threads too. Good luck but I think I'm still on a winner :lol:

Image Image
Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting
paolo

Post by paolo »

Sue,

That has set a very high standard, but I am up for the challenge. Just give me time...
Paolo
Lay My Hat
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Is that golden plastic turd on a bar of soap? Or is that some sort of porcelain box?

The best souvenir I ever got was a gorgeous black and white spotted shell that a friend plucked off the ocean floor while snorkeling in Fiji.

I saw some really horrible plastic busts of Aristotle and Plato while I was in Athens' Plaka district, but I didn't buy any. Too awful! Pure hollow plastic, with untrimmed seams from the injection mold. I remember Aristotle was kind of cross-eyed.
Brooke
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

It is just hollow gold turdy looking plastic on a hollow plastic base - real classy!!

Worse thing I was brought back was an ashtray made from volcanic rock (from Tenerife) brightly painted... I don't and never have smoked!! That was in the bottom of the cupboard and only brought out when that friend visited until a decent interval passed and it was ditched...

Best is probably bottles of duty free Bombay Saphire Gin :lol:
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

When I was in Rome there was some awful Pope stuff ( John Paul 11)- I just couldn't resist a bottle opener with his face ( God bless him)as a handle!!! ( we have a bar!!I did know this was tacky just in case anyone wonders!!!!!!!!!!)
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

re Pope.. ah, I have a fine collection of religious kitch going on. Some stuff is just so bad it is good..

My best collection of souvenirs are from Mexico - Day of the Dead stuff which I love. Remember those little spoons with the enamelled crest of places you used to spoon tea before teabags took over - it was always a good bet you'd get one of those from a UK seaside holiday.