Views Required

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
Martin L

Views Required

Post by Martin L »

I've just received an enquiry via Holiday Lettings from Magda Lapkiewicz from Poland, for our apartment in Spain.

Nothing wrong with that so far, but the booking is for two weeks starting this Friday!

Obviously it is too late for any payment to clear, so the only way of paying would be in cash when collecting the keys from the person who looks after them for us.

I think I'll forego the booking as being too risky and troublesome.

Any other views gratefully received.
Marks

Post by Marks »

Without seeing the rest of the enquiry I can't say if it's a possible scam or not. Nothing wrong with asking about availability in 2 days time, I had one a couple of weeks ago from someone who wanted to arrive the next morning!
Cassis

Post by Cassis »

I wouldn't dismiss it yet. What sort of scam do you suspect?

If you really don't trust them, what about a Paypal deposit payment? They can be made instantly and you'd be safe. You could set up a Premier account this afternoon.
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
Likes ducks, nature, gardening, furniture restoration, DIY, rugby, blah, blah.
paolo

Post by paolo »

I have had genuine bookings at such short notice (or one) and I have also enquired at such short notice. Why don't you post the email enquiry? If it is a scam it is usually easy to tell.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Martin L

Post by Martin L »

Thanks for the replies.

I don't necessarily suspect it of being a scam just feel a bit uneasy (and rushed!!) about this enquiry. I've never had enquires from Poland or at such short notice before - they've always been weeks or months in advance

The actual enquiry was just:

"We are looking for apartment for this friday, I want to know the price, available, terms of payment. Regards......"
Ju

Post by Ju »

My guess is that it isn't a scam - or at least not the traditional type. About the most they can hope to gain is a free stay.

If you take it you need to be very firm about getting the money up front, preferably in cash, before you give them the keys.

I think booking late is partly a cultural thing (our last minute enquiries are always French or Belgium) and partly due to the season. People know that they will be able to find something at this time of year so why book in advance?
Marks

Post by Marks »

Can't see this is a scam, almost certainly a genuine enquiry for a last minute booking (and possibly a deal). I would continue.