mr Alan Jones

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
declanja

mr Alan Jones

Post by declanja »

Had an enquiry from the above today for 26 nights in December. Just got word from website owner that it is a scam. I had replied so...
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Looks like he wants to stay at our for that period as well...........Dont worry you can have this one declanja :roll:
Cheers
PC
Holiday Ray

Post by Holiday Ray »

Although I had my suspicions:-
There was nothing in the free text
and
I'm always wary of long lettings anyway,
I still replied :x
He/she/it hasn't replied back yet, so I'm wondering what their objective is ?
Anyone any ideas
Ray
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Just had a warning from A website Im on about this chap SCAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LaVilleauTady

Post by LaVilleauTady »

Had an eamil froma Mr John Wood around this time as well. I think he's a friend of Mr Alan Jones.
Good Day Mr and Mrs ,
Well i will like to know if i can rent your property for 1 Month rental start from 1 nov 2008 till 30 nov 2008 and if you know that your property is not available for long time rent well i will like to know so that i can book your Bed and Breakfast for 2 weeks only , before i forget i will like to know if the property is available, but if you know that the property is not available from 1 nov , i will need to know the date that the property will be available to rent , and we are 2 people only looking forward to hear from you sooner.
thanks a lot
Yahoo.co.uk addresses seem to be in with the scammers at the moment. British...? with English like that! Don't think so.

I think they usually try to use the advance fee fraud Holiday Ray - that's where they send a cheque for more than the rental and ask you to refund the difference. You send them their refund and by the time you hear the original cheque has bounced they are long gone with your refund, never to be seen again - unless you choose to holiday in Nigeria, Russia, Ukraine or some such place.

You can read all about it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance_fee_fraud
tribalecho

Post by tribalecho »

I've had exactly the same email from Mr John Wood, and was very suscipious, but decided to treat it as genuine just in case! He responded again today, asking for my details so he can send a cheque. Against my better judgement, I again responded as though he was genuine, then came to look him up here.
If he completes and returns booking form with cheque, I will just send him his cheque back, assuming he gives me a genuine address to return it to. Any other ideas?
I should have trusted my instinct and not responded :( [/quote]