Interesting new PayPal scam or not?

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
Mountain Goat

Interesting new PayPal scam or not?

Post by Mountain Goat »

I recently received an email which looked a genuine PayPal advice note, saying that £32 had been sent to my account.

I've never heard of the guy who sent it (Lance A...), it wasn't to my PayPal email address, but more interesting, he used an email address that was a 'secure' address used to send enquiries from a listing site to me and it has no other use.

The £32 is floating in cyberspace if it actually exists, and I'm baffled. So is the owner of the listing site.

Anyone got any clues? If I wrote to 'Lance' and asked him, then he would pick up a new email address for his scam, but surely he wouldn't go to that trouble? It had a transaction ID.

MG
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I'd ignore it, it will be returned to Lance if you don't claim it I think, and obviously you don't have a Paypal account using that email.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Theirs turned out to be a dud email address, so haven't a clue what they were up to on this one.

MG
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Perhaps the lad is on his last legs! You might get an email asking you to pay him back the £2.50 he has overpaid you.

Maybe he was the former Prince of Poundstretcher?

Seriously though I don't have a clue on this one apart from it may be a genuine cock-up on someone's behalf.
Cheers
PC
domino

Post by domino »

Hi MG
Any email received from Paypal can be forwarded to spoof@paypal.com they will then tell you if it is a hoax. Their service is very quick and takes away any worries re your account.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Thanks, Domino - I'll give that a go and report back.

MG