Warning Spam phone calls

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
pepsipuss

Warning Spam phone calls

Post by pepsipuss »

Not sure if this is what it seemed but thought I should post just in case - forewarned is forearmed! :D

While I was out this morning OH received a phone call from someone who purported not to speak any English, talking about a 'paquete' and (he thought) something about the Cruz Roja. His first interpretation was that it might have been someone from our local medical centre called Paquita but on reflection
the receptionists there both speak some English and in any event would have said they would call back later when I was at home if they weren't making any headway, and would not have referred to themselves as the Red Cross.

Then we remembered that a few years ago we and many others were victims of a scam whereby we were phoned by someone telling us that they there was a parcel waiting for us and we had to ring another number to arrange for delivery. This number was of course a premium number and they messed us about for 20 minutes before the penny dropped. :oops:

I am pretty sure that this is the same sort of deal as I tried to call back on the number they had called from and it just went straight through to muzak. This appeared to be a genuine number (987844500) but it clearly is not in use for incoming calls and certainly has nothing to do with our local medical centre! :roll:
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
mimosa

Post by mimosa »

My husband had an SMS the other day with a similar message. As we were not expecting anything he looked it up on Internet and it is a fraud.
He phoned Telefonica to report it (they also get a fortune from these numbers) and they were not interested, even though my husband pointed out that they formed part in the "crime" as they provide the number and won't investigate misuse. :twisted:
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

That's exactly what happened when we phoned Telefonica last time, Mimosa. :shock: They really are not interested in the customer AT ALL!!
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
brenda

Post by brenda »

We had the same SMS last week. Seems the scam is definitely doing the rounds again.