SERVER REFUSING TO RECOGNISE RUSSIAN MAIL! HELP

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
pambon

SERVER REFUSING TO RECOGNISE RUSSIAN MAIL! HELP

Post by pambon »

At midnight I received an SMS from HR advising me of a request from Russia, this has not come up on my computer (as has not another request, from the UK, received this morning from HL) to which I have replied BUT my server refuses to send it as it does not recognise the @mail.ru address. (no problem with the UK address.)

What should I do? Contact my server and/or telephone this guy, as there is a phone number, and hope to get someone who speaks English, or is it a scam?

I will contact them anyway to see why these messages have not got through, not even to the scam box. They have recently installed a very tough scam filter which may be the problem.
paolo

Post by paolo »

This forum got an awful lot of spam registrations from Russia, all using mail.ru. I assume it is a free webmail over there.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
pambon

Post by pambon »

Thanks Paolo; have contacted HR and they suggest phoning.... my ISP and the telecom company I have ADSL with say the problem is not this end and also suggest phoning. I feel that it's a scam since there's no message with the enquiry but it could be a one off bona fide request.
BTW, HR have just sent the message through saying occasional hiccups can happen!

(The HL UK request has also not come up but she sent another request via OD which came through OK and I've also phoned so things may move there.)
pambon

Post by pambon »

Hurrah! finally the HL UK request has come thru; just leaves the possible scam to think about!
pambon

Post by pambon »

Just to round this off; 2 days ago I was surprised to receive another request in almost perfect English from Russia (hotmail this time) via the HR site asking about the so-called 'scam' enquiry I received.

It seems it was not a scam; this latest 'enquiry' was on behalf of the original enquirer (friends who do not speak English). As well as replying immediately by email I also phoned her to explain the situation. The booking is now confirmed and full payment will be sent next week :D

All transactions are being done through this English speaking friend as my server continues to block my mail out to the @mail.ru address.

As a result of this I have opened a @gmail.com address hopefully to get around similar complications should they arise in the future. I used it to email the future guest but have not heard back if it was received.

All's well that ends well :lol:
pambon

Post by pambon »

No scam indeed! They were a lovely young (very) Russian couple who left super comments written in Russian in the Guest Comments books :lol: :lol: