A fantastic way to use your spare weeks

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
jane palliser

A fantastic way to use your spare weeks

Post by jane palliser »

Last year I started a discussion about using spare weeks in your UK holiday homes to lend to families with a member who is seriously ill. Paolo put it as a sticky but I've been very quiet on it whilst I got to work.

Since last June I have arranged 40 holidays between hospices and owners. If you look up www.homeswithheart.co.uk you'll see my website which is a direct result of your input and encouragement. Mr Titchmarsh suggested I become a registered charity so that people have reassurance, which is exactly what I have done, and now the Association of Children's Hospices have passed my details onto their members.

It works so well, I can't believe that we hadn't thought of it before! Owners are really pleased to be able to help and they often get flowers, cards and pictures so that they really feel rewarded. I have managed to get fundraising so that we can pay for all housekeeping costs and laundry, and I hope to provide a carer for a day so that families with very sick children can have a little extra relaxation. All I do is sit here in the middle and match referred families to you, the owners.

I really think that this could grow to become something that all holiday home owners could consider joining for a week a year. If it does grow, I hope to campaign to have these weeks counted towards tax relief.

I've met several children who have won Pride of Britain awards, I've met amazing owners from a small shack on a steep slope, right above a beach in Cornwall to a Georgian masterpiece with indoor pool, all of whom have been delighted to enjoy the company of worthy families.

Please take a minute to look up www.homeswithheart.co.uk and see what I have put together. It really is a great way of making use of your spare weeks.

If you want to discuss how I could improve this (seeing as Lay My Hat was instrumental in its development), please call me on 01372 842751 or email jane@homeswithheart.org.

Jane
Windy

Post by Windy »

Jane

Fantastic news that this is still going!

If you can give me some more details I will circulate them amongst the other owners at Limefitt too - we have an internet forum of our own and there are a number of owners who don't normally let their places but who may well be prepared to help out.

Feel free to contact me if you can see on the websites that we have availability that could work for you.
SherborneCottages

Wonderful!!

Post by SherborneCottages »

This looks like such a wonderful organization! I feel just terrible when any of our properties are sitting empty and have often wondered what the best thing we could do with them would be.

Having a look at the website now and look forward to joining!

Excellent work!!
Windy

Post by Windy »

I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm but I think Jane must be working at capacity already - not much response, bit I guess that's maybe a good thing if it means that she's so busy with other properties.

I wonder if between us on LMH we might manage to do something similar?
SherborneCottages

Post by SherborneCottages »

Oh well that's just wonderful! Glad to know it's so popular!

A bit sad though to think that there must be so many families out there who could use this service but obviously charities can only handle so many at a time even if there are enough people out there willing to offer their properties (which is I assume, what the current situation is)

That's a good suggestion about trying to do something similar. If not on here then I think I'm at least inspired to see if I can do something locally.