Jim Austin-What does anyone think?

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
declanja

Jim Austin-What does anyone think?

Post by declanja »

I had an email enquiring about whether we had free weeks in August from a free site that generally generates USA enquires- Vacation... . I replied that we had not, but did have 5 nights availability in mid September. I had not quoted a price etc. This morning I received an emailing agreeing to book. It included name , UK Address, phone number etc. I phoned and he said his wife was keen to come whatever dates I had free in September. Both he and their young son would accompany her. I quoted him a price and he agreed. He did not ask many other questions. I'm not sure about it.

Below is some of his email:

Hello,

Thank you for getting back to me concerning the payment of the house am renting from you frist week in september 2009, the price is ok by me,Payment will be sent to you via CHUQUE and once you have confrimed it i will want you to kindly get back to me with update concerning it.

Secondly my INVESTOR in FRANCE will be makeing the payment out to you, he will be sending you payment,I will want you to get back to me with the following information which will be used to make the payment out to you.

1, CONTACT NAME

2, CONTACT ADDRESS

3, DIRECT PHONE NUMBER

With this infromation i will be able to have the cheque sent to you and also i can be reached via my cell phone number here in the UK.
Wait to read from you,
(End of quote).

He mentioned my house- its an apartment. I have not emailed him my details. Anyone smell a scam here?

Declan
Last edited by declanja on Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
e-richard

Re: What does anyone think?

Post by e-richard »

Scam smell is very clear:
declanja wrote:Secondly my INVESTOR in FRANCE will be makeing the payment out to you, he will be sending you payment,
His "investor in France" will be sending you a cheque for a lot more than the rental, and you will be requested to send the balance somewhere else. The cheque you receive will eventually bounce !
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Quote:
Scam smell is very clear

Richards Right[of course]!!

Definite Scam

Quote:
his wife was keen to come whatever dates I had free in September.

As soon as you see this its alarm bells for me.........How many genuine enquiries will come any old time you can put them up.cos theres such a shortage of accomodation apart from yours isnt there........ :roll: I bet the original email was vague as well...want to stay in your accomodation etc.etc.because this same email goes out to thousands...

Please put at least part of the details, so that others can be warned.........
This is how people pick up scams on Google and thatll save them getting fleeced....

Dont touch with a barge pole....
declanja

Post by declanja »

Thank you for that. I'm not sure I'm allowed to give names or can I? Could someone follow up on it if I cant prove its a certain scam? It came from Vacation Rentals 411.com. The email address is a Hotmail one and the geographical one is Newman St London. If someone can tell me its ok to give the guys name I'm happy to do so.

Declan
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Declanja

Its totally up to you of course, but if you look back on most of the other scam posts most people have been named if people are sure its a scam.
Often its then that folks say, ''Oh yes I had the same one'' as well.

Paolo posted about it here ... viewtopic.php?p=114612#114612

And he also posted once about someone contacting him and thanking him for LMH and the Scam category, as they avoided being scammed because of a scam warning posted here.

But of course you must only do what youre comfortable with.
goosie

Post by goosie »

declan - as others have said, most definitely a scam. Also, I assume the phone number was a mobile rather than landline. Don't bother phoning it as they can be re-routed abroad and then you find that you are paying a significant hefty sum for the pleasure of talking to a scammer
declanja

Post by declanja »

Goosie, I did ring him! I have added the scammers name to the post following everyones kind advice. Should I contact Hotmail as he is using their address?
Declan
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Thats great Declan.

Another thing to consider as well is the fact you got it through a free site, the big Listing sites have managed to clamp down on the scammers[though a few do still slip through]

But Im sure the scammers find it easier to get through the process with free sites, where theres not so many safeguards in place.