Coffee Machine vs Sachets

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
davhill

Coffee Machine vs Sachets

Post by davhill »

Another tedious question from we newbies.

We're looking at the notion of the welcome 'tray' stuff. We can get tea bags/coffee sachets from a trade outlet nearby but are toying with the idea of including a coffee machine of the filter/carafe variety.

Any thoughts, what do you provide?

Also, hows about Dairystix? Shelf life, etc.
Property owner in Burneside, Kendal, Cumbria
ccazes

Post by ccazes »

I suppose it depends if you are on site or nearby to fill up on all the bits and pieces for each new client.
I find having a carafe/drip coffee maker the best solution and for the french it is expected. With this I leave filters and a pack of ground coffee.
Personally when I arrive in a rental, I do not use the UHT and coffee singles if any are left. It just isn't what I like so either I go with black coffee or stop off somewhere for a pint of milk.
That said I once toured New Zealand and we stayed in a dozen small hotels or self catering units and without fault we always found a pint of FRESH milk in the mini fridge on arrival! It is a lasting memory of that holiday to not have had to think about where to get milk for my mum's tea and was greatly appreciated! It's always the small things....
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I leave teabags (for the Brits) and there is a filter coffee machine which is essential for the French, for which I always leave a packet of filter coffee. Also litre of fresh milk for British guests, cold beer, a bottle of wine, orange juice for the kids, a bottle of cider for the French and a homemade cake.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

We always put fresh milk in the fridge, and small jars of coffee, tea bags and sugar - enough for arriving guests suffering from "I need a cup and I need it NOW! and I don't want to have to unpack!!" Coffee and sugar sachets would be just as acceptable. There's a cafetiere for more leisurely and less desperate moments, but we leave it to guests to get their own choice of coffee for that.

Sadly in the UK it seems you need a licence (who'd have thought it? :roll:) if you provide any sort of alcoholic drink for guests, according to Visit Britain. I did point out to them that if you don't advertise it, and guests aren't expecting it, then it can't be a "consideration" or inducement to book, so therefore you're not actually selling the stuff even indirectly, but I think that was too much for their shared brain cell and they responded in their usual manner by going into a corner with their teddy bear and refusing to speak.