Tourism awards

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
orroland

Tourism awards

Post by orroland »

I'm interested in finding out about awards that are relevant for self-catering businesses. Regional and national.

Which awards have you entered or won or are you aware of?
www.orroland.com

and

SuperControl online booking system -www.supercontrol.co.uk
Windy

Post by Windy »

Well back in 2008 we won Cumbria Tourism Web site of the Year.

Of course now that the web is old hat and no longer forms part of the marketing strategy of forward thinking tourism businesses Visit Britain / England / Never Land / Lalaland has scrapped that paticular award at a national level.

The regional tourist boards now no longer offer Web Site of the Year as an award as they apparently have to have awards that feed into the national level ones that VB in their infinite wisdom deem worthy of competition.

Thank goodness we have an organisation like VB to look after our interests, with its finger right on the pulse of how we do business. Without them I just don't know how we could carry on.
CSE

Post by CSE »

At this stage I must apologise for windy's posting as he (at least for the moment) seems to have escaped form the following forum.
http://www.grumpieroldmen.co.uk/forum/phpBB3/index.php

In all seriousness that was another good- direct post form windy. Image
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

Don't show that link to Greenbarn or Windy....we will lose them both forever....

....they'll never come up for air again.... :D
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

* I have of course, favourited it. I think my husband probably has an alter ego as one of the main contributors....
Nightowl
backwards......
Windy

Post by Windy »

Strange to say I have never seen that forum before.

My Thursday is now complete :lol:

I should point out that age has nothing to do with it. I have *always* been like this :wink:
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Can't say I'd seen that forum before, but it seems like a series of postings from highly reasonable-thinking individuals with a well-balanced view on essential topics.

So not the sort of place for Windy, then. :lol:

Personally I believe that Visit/Enjoy Britain/England - no identity issues here, then - do a first-rate job; as an example, the weather here today is glorious and we've got Kate Humble just up the road with her hand up a sheep's bottom.
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Well, I had a quick look and couldn't help but notice this...
Total posts 362214 | Total topics 22515 | Total members 2494 | Our newest member Windy
:lol:
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

see, what did I say??? :lol:

Windy don't forsake us for your new best friends.... :lol:
Nightowl
backwards......
Windy

Post by Windy »

How do you know that's me?

Many grumpy old men are flatulent. :lol:
Nuthatch

Post by Nuthatch »

Hi Orroland

Our local tourist agency (Welcome to Yorkshire) has White Rose Awards for Tourism each year, so we applied last year (which also happened to be our first year!) We were shortlisted in 2 categories (best sustainable tourism and best self-catering) and although we didn't win, we were finalists in both categories. The process of applying wasn't particularly difficult (especially if you're used to writing sales pitches!) and as we received 2 free tickets to the event "do" for each shortlisted category we all had a great night out. We received feedback from our application afterwards and it was very apparent that a single operation like ours doesn't really stand a chance of being the outright winner (they would have preferred it if we answered the phone with the name of our property and wore name badges!).

The reason we applied was that I'm a big believer in awards - whilst I know it's just marketing, I like to believe that whatever I'm spending my money on is one of the best in its class. And I think it differentiates us from other properties locally - none of the others can say they are "award-winning"!
CSE

Post by CSE »

Maybe the question should be directed to this couple.
http://www.abingdonblog.co.uk/?p=2088
I remember seeing the TV programme 4in a bed. Their hallway was covered in awards.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.