Insurance outside the EEC?

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Mountain Goat

Insurance outside the EEC?

Post by Mountain Goat »

Can anyone recommend a UK broker/company that would offer cover on a property in Switzerland? Sticking point seems to be that although in Europe it's not in the EEC.

Our Swiss insurance co. is baffled by the idea about cover when renting, the attitude being that all renters/guests would have (compulsory?) 3rd party cover in case they did any damage etc. and in case of any problem, claim off them. Dream on (or would that really be possible?).

They do, however, cover broken glass (windows, doors, not sure about a TV, moot point) and ceramics (bath tubs, shower trays).

Also cover is in bits and pieces - Acts of 'God', water, avalanche, mountain collapse, fire, pet, bicycle, keys, phone, car, all on separate polices, when certainly at least the first 5 would be an inclusive policy in the UK.
Last edited by Mountain Goat on Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Mountain Goat, I post on a ski forum, and there are a few people there with apartments in Switzerland. It's address is snowheads.com . If you register there, and post the question in the Chalets and Apartments thread, someone will be along soon to answer your question. It may take a coupleof days as a large group of them are skiing in Val Thorens this week.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Many thanks, HelenB, I'll give them a go.
Goat
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Mountain Goat,

I insure my household contents (main house and gites) in France through an old friend of mine in Newcastle upon Tyne. He is an insurance broker and his company is Robertson McIsaac Insurance Brokers Ltd. He can be contacted in the UK by telephone on 0191 212 1234, by e-mail at team@rmib.co.uk and his Web Site is www.rmib.co.uk

The insurances are Lloyd's based through Great Lakes and Andrew Copeland (Insurance Consultants) Ltd.

Give him a try; if you don't like what's on offer you don't have to accept it.

I only offer this as a possible way out of your problem not necessarily as a solution.

Alan
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Thanks, Alan, I'll give them a go.
Goat