Creating a Facebook page for your business Part 1 2012

Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, Linkedin, Youtube, TikTok, etc.
CarolineH

Post by CarolineH »

Thanks, Nemo
Nemo wrote:
It's well worth claiming your user name as then you have a short url with no numbers in, so go for it everyone who hasn't already.
Bu**er! Someone's already got mine - brittanygites - had a look at this when I created the page, but didn't have enough likes to do it, now someone's jumped in and stolen it :cry:

What do you reckon - brittanygite is still available? It's a shame you can't put hyphens in.

Also, LV - brittanycottage(s) are also available - so I should jump in quick
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

For those that don't have the 25 likes needed to claim their name, then try anyway, especially if there's been a lot of activity as now.
Thank you for that, Nemo! I just did .... and it worked. And - phew - I'm so glad to be a part of this forum - I've just spent 5 years plodding away here with just OH and a plastering trowel to discuss all this stuff with!
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

how do you do that? (we have over 100 likes)
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Margaret, go to this page: https://www.facebook.com/username/ and select your page in the bottom box. Put in the user name you want and if it's available it'll be set up immediately. I just checked and the FB badge I've got on my website redirects automatically to the new user name of the FB page.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Yorkshire Lass wrote:Love is all around...I've caught up on all my likes with GG, Margaret, Kitkat, Wallypott, KC, Lorca and Windy now duly added. If there's anyone else I've missed feel free to give me a nudge (or should I say a poke!). I'll keep monitoring this incredibly useful thread so if anyone else wants to come to the party by posting their FB url then I'll be very happy to like them too. I'll get to the magic 25 yet!
I have just been liking some relevant business pages, one of them being Rated Places who currently only have 14 likes. I posted on their page about my FB page and one minute later the next post appeared featuring your property YL! Don't suppose it will help much but I had to laugh! Out of all the properties they chose yours - coincidence or have you been having a chat with Janet lately?
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Featured likes
As you like more and more pages, you end up with a long list which gets randomly rotated. If you want certain sites that are particularly relevant to your business to always be available for viewing then set them as your featured likes.

From your page, go to edit the section that says "about". When you are on the "edit profile" page in the left hand column it says featured. Click on featured likes and you can choose which ones to feature by ticking the box.

We could choose to feature each others businesses on a random, ever changing basis if we felt so inclined. :wink:
Yorkshire Lass

Post by Yorkshire Lass »

That would have been a great coincidence Nemo but there is a more mundane reason - I actually got my first review on Rated Places the other day and so my property has just got a full featured listing (yay!)
We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars

www.kingshousescarborough.com
www.facebook.com/scarboroughholidaycottage
www.sandsendpavilion.co.uk
Richy

Facebook pages

Post by Richy »

Great thread thanks to everyone. I'm glad i wasn't the only one who found the process confusing. Facebook help pages seemed to be out of date when i was building it.
I would say that the magic 25 likes to grab you domain does not appear to be set in stone. I was able to grab my name well before 25. But what the criteria is who knows?
To all you PIMS users, you may be interested to see i have integrated the check availability as an app on the page.
If you want to like my page that would be great, happy to return the favour.

http://www.facebook.com/LeTouquetHolidays
Windy

Post by Windy »

Nice one Richy - I have the calendar but hadn't thought of adding the availability check.

Spurred on by that I have now integrated the on-line reservation form.

https://www.facebook.com/WindermereLodg ... 3445359798

The iFramewrapper app doesn't seem to use the settable height function of Facebook so it has a limit of 800 px so I had to use the MyTab app again.

I have sent a message to the developer asking about the height restriction. I do hope he comes back with something as the CMS option on the iFramewrapper app looks amazing. You can add tabbed content within a tab, so you could have a PIMS availability tab, a Pims enquiry tab and a Pims On Line Reservation tab all within one Facebook tab instead of needing separate tabs for each.
kitkat

Post by kitkat »

Nemo wrote:Featured likesWe could choose to feature each others businesses on a random, ever changing basis if we felt so inclined. :wink:
What a great idea Nemo, I'm going to do that. Will have to go through the thread again to just make sure I've got everyone's FB pages. Wish there was a 'sticky' on LMH that listed members FB pages and websites etc

I'm so envious of those with the the talent and know-how who've created the FB Welcome pages, they look great! I spent an hour or so last night looking into having a go myself but the jargon just blew me away. I've copped-out and like Wallypot have asked my website man to do one for me and I'm thrilled to say he's kindly agreed. What got me worried was someone suggesting that these FB pages could even replace the traditional website. I can actually see that happening. Folks love 'simplicity' in their lives and if they can see the different information but displayed in the same way it makes it easier for them to compare.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Okay, one more question. Has anyone tackled the problem of having FB pages in 2 languages? If I want to do a French page (which I do, at some point) do I have to create a whole new page, with a different title, and feed separately onto that? Seems like a lot of faff, and also it would dilute the total number of likes because they'd be split between 2 different pages, and therefore it would dilute the whole activity ... Or should I be doing a bilingual landing page and just feeding in two languages? Would that put people off, do you think? Any ideas?
Windy

Post by Windy »

The iFramewrapper app allows you to create tabs that have different language versions that are shown dependent (I think) on the location of the visitor, so you could have an English version of a tab for me and a French version for anyone registered to Facebook in France.

Your Wall content would still be in whatever language you posted though.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Thanks Windy - the iFramewrapper app sounds very promising (if daunting) - I shall investigate.

I've just discovered that it is possible to target different posts to different people based on location and language:
https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=180817924821. Looks like I've got some homework to do.
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

Great thread, been meaning to read it for ages.

Like most here, I've been totally confused by FBs advertising/business pages.

Ages ago I tried looking into FB advertising and at the time the only option appeared to be a paid for advertising page - so I created a personal page instead. Then along the way, I'd updated my profile to say that my work was 'Hillyfields London Vacation Rentals' and at some point noticed that this appeared as a hyperlink, clicked on it and somehow it created a page, I know not how!

So I've added stuff to that but I really DON'T understand how it works and can't get my head around it - I used to add posts but haven't done so since New year.

But I do want to resurrect it so this thread is timely for me as well.

I'm going to do some 'liking' and would be grateful if people can reciprocate because a short URL would be great...

Lots of good advice here which has helped me to get my head around it all.

anyone got any idea what happens to our pages once the new timeline takes effect?
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......
Windy

Post by Windy »

That's interesting about the post language options - amazing what we can all learn together isn't it? :lol:

Nightowl - what is the address of your page
Last edited by Windy on Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.