when to change the hot tub water

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
belllinda

when to change the hot tub water

Post by belllinda »

we are finding we have to change the water between each guests,its too cloudy even with the chemicals right, but it takes longer than the 5 hour changeover. So do we ask the night before if we can empyty it , fill and heat over night or leave it til the friday am. But this week the new guests were not happy at all that it wasn't ready for them as soon as they arrived, to cap it all one of the pumps stopped working too, so couldn't get the engineer til the monday. They are asking for compensation, any ideas how to handle it?
belllinda

Post by belllinda »

also, our guests this week said that others they've gone to have filled it with hot water, to lessen the heating time, we've been advised not to do this, does anyone use hot water?
fincafern

Post by fincafern »

Hi Bellinda
We change our water weekly but we tell guests that we do that , we change the chemicals weekly and we also now make a charge for running the tub. This outdoor jacuzzi is an optional extra.

Before, it was available free two nights per week but now we make it available any time day or night.

We explain in advance before they decide to book it, that we empty it on late on a Friday night when they have finished using it and we refill, change the chemicals and it will be ready for use by early Saturday evening for new guests - even earlier in summer.
We tell them no unaccompanied children in advance too.
We give them a lesson on arrival and show them how to work the disco light etc.,It is in our bar area, shown on the front page of our web site, hidden under another photo.
Every guest has booked it so far despite the extra price which we only added 4 months ago because our government told us they were going to put the electric prices up.
Before, we did not change the water so frequently. We think this way is better for us and the guest. They can make the water very mucky at times. We have to top it up too if they try to squeeze too many in. It will take 8 people at a push.

The thing is - be honest and up front - explain all in advance and they have no comeback.
We have not had any complaints and I do not supply bathing robes - I do not wish to launder 10/11 per week. I don't think they are necessary here in the Med.
I have never tried to fill with hot water and am not sure we could reach but I cannot answer that one for you - you would need to speak to your manufacturer.
If my jacuzzi had been out of action for several days I would reimburse my guests - a day at a time. They really enjoy using it, even more than the heated pool.
It is part of the holiday experience and they may have booked specifically because of it.
belllinda

Post by belllinda »

thanks for your help on that, we learn as we go along. will need to inform the guests about the need to change the night before