Guests flouted no smoking rule

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Medoc Bob

As a smoker

Post by Medoc Bob »

As a smoker my best advice is.

Fabreze, plug in air freshener, windows open and all the fans you have room by room.

Regarding the deposit.....keep the lot. They have shown no respect to your home and the conditions of rental I would return that respect to their deposit.

I presume they are unlikely to rent from you again and I presume you would not want them again.

I visit friends in the Dordogne, neither smoke, they always insist on putting an ashtray out after dinner. I equally insist on standing outside.

You could have lost a weeks rental and possibly been obliged to provide alternative accommodation for guests who had insisted on non-smoking.

Imagine if they had stolen your Shower and Bath and the future guest said but I rented a house with a shower and bath.....who would your sympathy be with.

They broke the rules........you have the money........keep it.

Bob
Back in UK, our house in France is now back as a Holiday Home
mimosa

Post by mimosa »

This makes me mad :evil:
I am also a smoker, but I would never ever smoke in someone elses property.
When visiting friends or on holiday I always smoke outside, regardless of the rules or if the weather is good and all the windows are open. This is a total lack of respect for someones property.
I really don't know how much I would keep of the deposit BUT another thing is the long term damage. Painted walls and surfaces absorb smells and discolour with the smoke and may need painting a lot sooner than normal. Textile sofas and curtains will also absorb smells.

It is difficult to prove though as the smell is brought in via clothes but does not linger as the smoke does if smoked inside.

Hoping to go for hypnosis for this smelly and damaging habit!!
Ciapolin

Post by Ciapolin »

Just a thought. Here in Italy it is illegal to smoke in public places such as restaurants, bars, hotels etc. Because our apartments are designated for tourists , they also come under this law. Assuming you dont have an alternative for non-smokers, are you sure this doesn't apply in the UK too?
Carole-Anne
Cascina Ciapolin
www.piedmont-holidays.com
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

A quick Google suggests it isn't unfortunately, as it comes under the category of a private home.

http://www.chichester.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=5445
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I've had experience of the lingering smell, despite the person concerned smoking outside, he was wearing one of our bathrobes when he did so.
welshgirl

Post by welshgirl »

That would make me so mad!

I'm a non-smoker and very anti-smoking. It annoys me when I turn up at my place and find cigaretter butts stuck in the planters and left on the patio. Grrr! but smoking in the house is the ultimate insult.

Bob has said it very well. I would keep the entire security deposit.

What a shame the law in the UK doesn't cover holiday homes.

I'm off to check my contract to make sure the wording is strong enough.

Stand your ground Harcourt!

WG

@BronHaul, the pros & cons of taking security deposit has been discussed in length but I always feel that it acts as a deterrent, helps to get the small things cleared up quickly and, worse case, should cover any excess on your insurance