How many sets of linen/bedding - advice please?

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
LeanneA

How many sets of linen/bedding - advice please?

Post by LeanneA »

I am hoping to run let for 2 adults.

Wondering about the amount of linen/bedding I would need, and how much I should leave at the property. My thoughts are:

Total amounts needed - 4x bath sheet, 4 x hand towel, 4 x flannel, 4x teatowel, 4x duvet set, 4x additional pillowcases.

Leave at the property for a weekly let - 2 off each of the above.

Do you leave a spare duvet set at the property incase there is a spillage (breakfast in bed cup of tea ends up on the cover!), and guests can change it themselves, or am I being too paranoid.

Do you keep spare pillows/duvet available (other than the ones already provided on the bed), for similar emergencies. I thought I might keep some at home, but them realised they are so readily available in the supremarkets theses days, if there was a crisis, I could pick on up on the way to the property.

Any advice on how you handle your bedding/linen arrangement please?

Also, I appreciate the changeover laundry is an allowable expense against tax, but how do you quantify it if you wash and dry at home? There is a launderette 5 minutes walk away, and my idea for changeover was to strip beds, run up the road and put on a wash, then pick it up and bring home to iron etc for next time, but may end up doing all of it at home.
Happylady

Post by Happylady »

I would advise having x3 particularly if you are doing short breaks. Never hurts to have a bit extra in case of unforeseen problems
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I only have x 2, but with two properties that actually means I have x 4 and not all the beds are used every time.

I have two pillows per person in situ and a spare duvet in storage if needed. I have no storage in the property itself apart from the wardrobes, so the guests have no back up apart from the spare beds if they're not all full. I don't supply towels fortunately!
marsh frog

Post by marsh frog »

We started off with 2 sets for each bed, but have increased this to 3. The reason being,as we use white linen, occasionally staining happens & bedding may need extra treatment to remove those stains. We offer short breaks [min. 2 nights] and sometimes it was getting a bit tight treating stubborn stains until they were completely gone if we had short breaks in. 3 sets of bedding takes the pressure off a bit and also means wear and tear is reduced if all sets are used :)
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/marshviewcottage
If you're fond of sand dunes and salty air....