Carbon monoxide.

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
gh

Carbon monoxide.

Post by gh »

Anyone else been asked this?

We had an enquiry this week for next summer and they wanted to know-

What type of heating we had
How did the cooker work
Were they serviced
Have we a receipt or stamp showing guests that the boiler had been done by a professional to regulated standards

These questions, have brought home saftey to the forefront, due to the recent sad deaths of children.

Ours is oil heating with log burners in lounge and kitchen. In the summer months only hot water usage would cause the boiler to come on. They still insisted on our maintenance records.

Our cooker is by way of bottles gas and the hose pipes have an expiry date that need replacing by. Not sure if other countries have this, we replaced our bottled gas with larger canisters recently and noticed the 'change by date' on the gas hose.

We have our boiler serviced annually by the company who installed it; on a maintenance contract every December, and display a service card for all to see.

I am sure that all us caring owners do similar, its the first time for us that an enquirier has asked this question, sure there will be more to follow.
A-two

Post by A-two »

With this kind of inquiry (unusual), I would definitely check on the legal requirements for your area regarding certification, especially with regard to gas and carbon monoxide.

Obviously I can't comment on what may be required, but here in New York, there is a fairly new requirement to have a Carbon Monoxide alarm in every home, much like smoke alarms are required. Where you put them is also regulated, hence you need to read the regulations, if any exist for you.

This is not as ominous as it sounds and you can pick up a carbon monoxide alarm from the local supermarkets for a little more than a smoke alarm, sometimes integrated with smoke alarms.

The only other info I have to share is that while doing rentals in the UK, we did an annual gas safety check on all appliances, including gas log fire etc. Again, this was not expensive, but involved hiring a local plumber who gave us a certificate, which we copied to renters whether they asked for it or not. That's a legal requirement for UK Landlords (at least it was when I was there).

My guess is that this is not about how often you service the boiler and whether or nor it's going to break down so they wouldn't be able to take a shower. Rather they are testing the waters to find out what regulations are in your area and to ensure that you meet them. They are more concerned with dying in their sleep!

So I would definitely look into it, (as a landord you ought to know this stuff anyway), then send them an honest answer, hopefully ending with something like "we meet all local safety requirements and haven't killed anyone yet!"
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi All :D
Johnel your right we are all more likely to have this sort of enquiry now and I think rightly so
In Spain its not to much of a worry for us as we have electric plug in Rads and an electric water heater...
Joanna It is very strict in England[rightly so] but people still die of it a couple of lads a few years ago in a rented flat locally,
the Landlord and gas bodgerman[not boilerman] were jailed because of it.
We have some rental properties in England and even though my husband is corgi registered we always get a friend of his who also has all the qualifications to check and certificate everything.

I know that a lot of people who rent out have this public liability insurance and put a lot of store by that I dont think it would be valid if the proper checks werent in place & certificated.

But lets get down to the nitty gritty none of that would matter...
how devastated would we all feel is someone was injured or worse died in one of our properties especially if it was something that we could..and should have prevented. :shock:

Its like the swimming pools I know we wouldnt be liable if a child died because the parents werent vigilant but I for one would be devastated...... :cry:

It is such a shame that this
tragedy happened but if its made everybody more vigilant maybe some good will come out of it :roll:
Ciapolin

Post by Ciapolin »

The queston may well be as a result of the tragic deaths of two young children last week in Corfu.

In fact Paul and I were discussing yesterday whether there is anything we can do - our boilers are outside and servcied regularly once a year (in fact there is an annual tax we have to pay now for emisions). We also have to have ventilation shafts low down in the kitchen in case there is a gas leak, although I don't know if this would be sufficient.

I am interested to hear you can get alarms now - I'll see if I can find anything here (although smoke alarms are non-existant).
Carole-Anne
Cascina Ciapolin
www.piedmont-holidays.com
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Ciapolin,

If theres a problem for you buying them I really wouldnt mind getting the alarms[smoke as well]...this end and I would ship them to you....It wouldnt be a problem... :wink: :lol:
Last edited by Big Sis.. on Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
CostaBlanca

Re: Carbon monoxide.

Post by CostaBlanca »

johnel wrote: Our cooker is by way of bottles gas and the hose pipes have an expiry date that need replacing by. Not sure if other countries have this, we replaced our bottled gas with larger canisters recently and noticed the 'change by date' on the gas hose.

We have our boiler serviced annually by the company who installed it; on a maintenance contract every December, and display a service card for all to see.
Yes, in Spain all gas hoses have an expiry date, usually 5 years from date of manufacture. All gas installations (even for gas hob), are required to a service certificate every 5 years.

This is a good reminder for me to ask the maintenance contractor for our oil boiler to leave a service card instead of his usual invoice.

Maria
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

When I was a child, we had someone come to service our furnace, and he estimated that we had all been exposed to CO for several months. It was only because we lived in Southern California (and so always had the windows and patio doors open) that we hadn't yet been really sick or worse.

Now, we keep a CO detector in our bedroom. I'm very glad to know it's there.
"we meet all local safety requirements and haven't killed anyone yet!"
Humor could work :) but then again, if they had any substantial connection to whatever incident spurred their questions, it might not...
Brooke
Ciapolin

Post by Ciapolin »

Thanks Ros - that's really kind of you. I will have a look in the Fai Da Tei and come back to you if I have problems.
Carole-Anne
Cascina Ciapolin
www.piedmont-holidays.com
gh

Post by gh »

Sadly it was due to the deaths of the young children in Corfu that raised the questions.

Follow up from my last post, our enquirer has booked, satisfied in the knowledge that we have all the boxes ticked on her list of questions.

They are considering booking for Christmas too, we explained that our heating is controlled via the telephone line, so we can check the temperature on their arrival day, and up it, if needs be, by telephone before they arrive, giving them a warm home at their arrival; all from the comfort of our armchair in Scotland.

She was really impressed by our foresite when renovating our Farmhouse with up to date technology especially as the smoke alarms and carbon alarms are hard wired to the electricity supply and not a battery system which could fail should the battery not be replaced when due.

And I agree with you Ros, swimming pool security is also another serious point to consider, especially here in France as we now have them regulated, we installed a barrier system and yet still the parents prop open the safety gate as they can't be bothered to get off their chairs to open it for their children. Like you, I would feel terrible if a little one had an accident due to the parents neglect.

You can lead a horse to water; but you can't make it drink. :?
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Johnel
we explained that our heating is controlled via the telephone line, so we can check the temperature on their arrival day, and up it, if needs be, by telephone
How nifty is that?????
You can lead a horse to water; but you can't make it drink.
You right of course and I think it was Crystal saying that people were taking batterries out of the smoke alarms????

But as long as we are doing ALL we can to think of the dangers we can do no more.....[except worry] :wink: :roll: :lol: