pdf

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Hells Bells

pdf

Post by Hells Bells »

I have a brochure in pdf,
I want to send one page of it to a potential client.call me thick, but it's been a long day. How?
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Hi Helen,

I have the full version of Adobe Acrobat Standard (ie the software that allows you to create PDF files), and to print individual pages I just press File.. Print.. and then I can either print the entire document, or a selected range of pages.

Do you have Acrobat, or just Acrobat Viewer? I don't know whether Acrobat viewer has this functionality. If you don't have the full version, and the viewer doesn't allow you to print individual pages, you could email me the document and I could run it through on my PC and split it into its individual pages for you...
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Doh, why didn't I do that. I didn't want to print it though, I wanted to email it. I did manage to take a snapshot of the page, and paste it into word, then send it, so success of sorts. Thanks.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Helen,

Open the PDF file in Acrobat Reader, click on “File� and then on “Print�. The print options include “Range� which enables you to print whichever page or pages you prefer.

Fluffy
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Alan Knighting wrote:..Open the PDF file in Acrobat Reader, click on “File� and then on “Print�. The print options include “Range� which enables you to print whichever page or pages you prefer...
Also on that Print Dialog near the bottom is a checkbox which says "Print to File". That works and does something, but does anyone know what type of file is produced ? I tried it, produced a big file, but I'm blowed if I know how to read it.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

"Print to File" produces a device-dependent PostScript file of whatever name you prefer - no good at all for answering Helen's present question.

PostScript files are very very detailed in their nature as they contain all the file instructions as well as the content. By and large, they require PostScript enabled software and printers and require "drivers" to work at all.

Fluffy
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Thanks Fluffy. I understand what that is, and you've confirmed my suspicion that it would not help Helen's current issue. I was just intrigued - but now I know all, I have yet to determine what to do with my new found knowledge :roll:
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Linux has a nice little command called "ps2pdf" that can translate postscript files to pdf files. So I can take anything whatsoever that I'm viewing in Linux and print it to a postscript file (which I believe is basically an ascii form of drawing an image), and then convert it to pdf.

Doing this in Windows, though, is no fun whatsoever unless you purchase the full version of Adobe Acrobat. Linux does it so easily -- it's beyond me why it has to be so hard in Windows!

Alan, when I try to print to file in Windows I am only ever given the option of a "*.prn file," -- which seems to be an utterly useless filetype. Or is this just another way of saying it's a postscript file?
Brooke
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Brooke,

I have a background in Unix and you are currently using Linux which means we are understanding dialects of the same language.
Linux has a nice little command called "ps2pdf" that can translate postscript files to pdf files. So I can take anything whatsoever that I'm viewing in Linux and print it to a postscript file (which I believe is basically an ascii form of drawing an image), and then convert it to pdf.
Yes, PostScript is saved in ascii format, that's why it's so verbose, but why should anyone need to know that?
Doing this in Windows, though, is no fun whatsoever unless you purchase the full version of Adobe Acrobat. Linux does it so easily -- it's beyond me why it has to be so hard in Windows!
It’s because Windows is proprietary even though MS wants everybody to believe in the opposite.
Alan, when I try to print to file in Windows I am only ever given the option of a "*.prn file," -- which seems to be an utterly useless filetype. Or is this just another way of saying it's a postscript file?
It’s a bit of both but it’s only a PostScript file at the end of the day.

You and I may know what we are talking about (even that may be open to question) but why would a respectable self-catering property owner want to get involved in all of this cr*p?

Fluffy
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Alan,

Of course you're completely right -- I suppose this was just my ultra-geeky way of going off topic! :)
Brooke
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

You may want to check out CutePDF. Its a FREE Windows program that will create PDF files.

Digging deeper, CutePDF also requires ps2pdf to be installed (the download page at the above address explains it all). Then when everything is installed, you simply get CutePDF added to your list of available printers which you can use from any program (even Word!). Simply put, create your document, File/Print... and select the CutePDF printer and hey presto, you get a PDF file. For free.

I'm sure there are some limitations in this product, but for simple documents with Pictures I've not found it wanting yet.

And back to the original question in this thread. You can even use CutePDF to print the first or any selected pages of an existing PDF. As I said above, I don't know what the limitations are, but it works for me with most simple docs.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Great, but I don't need to print the page, I want to send it to someone, but I don't want to send the whole document, as it's huge.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Sorry Helen.... I used the word "print" as that is how you use CutePDF to create a PDF file. After you select File/Print... and the CutePDF "printer", you will be prompted for a filename to save to.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Ok, sorry, I'm trying to do to many things at once this morning. I'l try it at home this evening.