Doors opening into rooms or into corridors / building regs

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Robin S

Doors opening into rooms or into corridors / building regs

Post by Robin S »

We've just bought holiday home number two and are having it spruced a bit before we open for guests in just under 2 months.

The two twin rooms are quite small. My preference is for single beds with roll out trolly beds over bunk beds but we're constrained by the fact the doors open into the rooms so would prevent us having such a setup...

... Unless we changed the door configs and had the doors open out into the corridor instead. I've had a brief look at building regs and couldn't easily find an answer. They would open out into a corridor on the first floor.

Is this a no no in terms of building regs? Or common sense? Or both?
ellerhow

Post by ellerhow »

How about two narrow doors opening in or out? Skinny people need only open one door and they look quite neat.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Good idea. I have come across them in some holiday places and funnily enough have two sets at home on two large walk in cupboards. They look good and match their full size door counterparts.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

I have one door which opens outwards into a hallway/corridor. Built 3 years ago, I don't remember any problems with building regs over this.
holidayloverxx

Post by holidayloverxx »

How about a sliding door?
Norfolk Canary

Post by Norfolk Canary »

I Would imagine it would depend on whether the opened door would obstruct an escape route from another room in the premises.
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

I have a sliding door from my (very) small second bedroom into the (very) narrow hallway. Seems to work well.
Robin S

Post by Robin S »

Thanks as ever for the thoughts and tips all. Hadn't even considered dual opening twin doors or sliding doors :) Will discuss with the builder!