Lay My Hat home page Lay My Hat Forum
The forum for holiday rental owners

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Smashed shower screen, what would you do?

Managing your property
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dusty

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Smashed shower screen, what would you do? Reply with quote

Last week one of guests managed to smash the shower door. She was covered in minor scratches and cuts where she walked across the glass!! Luckily it happened on their second day and I have managed to replace the shower door in time for the next guests but it got me thinking about what I would have done if it happened later in their stay and there wasn't time to replace the screen, or what would I have done if I wasn't able to replace and and had to wait for a plumber to do so. I suppose I could have rigged up a shower curtain fairly quickly and that would have to do until the door could be replaced.
Anyone any other ideas?
Hells Bells

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would probably have had to rig up a curtain. Very unlikely I would have been able to replace one so quickly.
How on earth did she manage to walk into it, break it and be relatively unscathed?
Shocked
Dusty

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can't work out how she did it, she was in the shower, I think that she must have pushed against the hinge side and paniced when it didn't open and pushed harder, breaking the door. It was hinged at the top and bottom but with nothing between the hinges so I can can see how it could happen, I have replaced it with one that has the hinging running the whole length of the door, so that should be better.
Jonathan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Smashed shower screen, what would you do? Reply with quote

Dusty wrote:
Last week one of guests managed to smash the shower door. She was covered in minor scratches and cuts where she walked across the glass!! Luckily it happened on their second day and I have managed to replace the shower door in time for the next guests but it got me thinking about what I would have done if it happened later in their stay and there wasn't time to replace the screen, or what would I have done if I wasn't able to replace and and had to wait for a plumber to do so. I suppose I could have rigged up a shower curtain fairly quickly and that would have to do until the door could be replaced.
Anyone any other ideas?

It should have been safety glass (at least in the UK). I am surprised she managed to cut herself.

Jonathan
Mouse

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh.....stuff of nightmares!

I'd be looking at the shower curtain angle too....certainly wouldn't have been easy to something like that replaced in August. Many plumbers take a holiday to spend with family then Shocked

Mouse
x
Casscat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a shower curtain and one of those sprung curtain poles on standby (assuming the shower is one that has two solid walls). I once had a shower door explode on me without any provocation. A new bathroom installation and I think it had been fitted too tightly within the frame. At the time I thought someone must have thrown a missile through the bathroom window but no, it just 'exploded' and shattered into a million pieces. Quite a clean up job Confused
Dusty

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Smashed shower screen, what would you do? Reply with quote

Jonathan wrote:

It should have been safety glass (at least in the UK). I am surprised she managed to cut herself.

Jonathan

It was safety glass Jonathan, it smashed into tiny pieces, just like a toughened glass windscreen, unfortunately it didn't stop her walking through and cutting her feet, but how she cut her arms I will never know.

It was a lot of clearing up, luckily I was able to replace the screen myself, otherwise we would have had to resort to a shower curtain, which I personally hate as they always seem to stick to you when you shower.
Dusty

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Smashed shower screen, what would you do? Reply with quote

Jonathan wrote:

Jonathan

It was safety glass Jonathan, it smashed into tiny pieces, just like a toughened glass windscreen, unfortunately it didn't stop her walking through and cutting her feet, but how she cut her arms I will never know.

It was a lot of clearing up, luckily I was able to replace the screen myself, otherwise we would have had to resort to a shower curtain, which I personally hate as they always seem to stick to you when you shower.
newtimber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Smashed shower screen, what would you do? Reply with quote

Dusty wrote:

The pieces are not supposed to be very sharp - the glass is tempered not laminated. I might suggest that if you are certain the glass was safety glass and as she cut her arms too, that maybe she didn't cut herself on the shower screen.
Janev1000

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a shower door with safety glass that fell out of its fixing and shattered across the floor in tiny pieces - again quite a clean up job! - but my son still managed to get fine cuts across his arms from flying pieces of glass. It's definitely possible with safety glass but the cuts are usually very superficial and not deep enough to be life threatening.

I would imagine that the guest received cuts on her arms simply from glass that flew up when it exploded.
Managing your property