Lay My Hat home page Lay My Hat Forum
The forum for holiday rental owners

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Cleaners! We are at breaking point - advice needed please

Managing your property
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seaturtle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:05 am    Post subject: Cleaners! We are at breaking point - advice needed please Reply with quote

Hello Everyone

We have a serious problem as our cleaners in their mid 20's are leaving the house not up to scratch. They fail to understand that bad reviews = less bookings = everyones livelihoods being threatened. We had to cancel an Air BNB listing altogether as ones guests review about a green pool was so bad. Lost revenue all round....

They are just not taking ownership of issues for example.... plaster fell onto a bed which although she cleaned the plaster dust she didn't let us know that there was an issue with the wall.

Given our rural location in the Med it would be difficult though not impossible to replace them.

We would prefer to work with them for this season at least.

Would incentivising good cleaning work? Exposing them to guests reviews maybe?

How do you educate cleaners to clean to the right standard particularly younger people that in fairness have never booked or stayed in paid accomodation themselves?

Many thanks in advance.

Seaturtle
rosebud

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sea Turtle

I do sympathise having taken on 5 different cleaners in the past who were just not good.. all ages!

One, I discovered, ignored crumbs on the kitchen worktops and even nail clippings in an unlined bin. Another kept letting me down at the last minute (fortunately I had a stand in)

I did not mange to change their ways despite trying very hard and giving feedback. I had checklists of tasks but they did not adhere to them and it is difficult anyway to detail every potential job.

Personally I would make every effort to find someone else.

I now have a reliable conscientious housekeeper /cleaner (also a second person who can stand in or provide extra help). She actually does not have another job .. due to health issues.. so can be very flexible.

I found her after I had a advert up for a long time on a local notice board. This may of course not be practical for you.

I think what really helped me was taking up references and speaking to other employers. The person I chose had a glowing recommendation from a local hotel manager.

I wish you luck in finding a replacement.

Jenny
seaturtle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rosebud Im grateful youve shared your experience & I suspect that in the end if the proverbial horse wont drink the water well just have to change the horse! All the best to you!
Mouse

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a dilemma seaturtle. Cleaners are so important so I understand completely the stress you're under to get this right.

I agree with rosebud that it will be difficult to get them up to scratch but, given that the season is upon us, I would endeavour to try whilst alongside that work hard to get replacements.

Have you ever worked alongside them? Maybe try that? They sound inexperienced but being young they may take your recommendations on board if you explain that the bottom line is reduced income for everyone. I'd set out your standards and yes, incentives might work. Plus you could include the clients by getting them to give a star rating. That way it is them, rather than you, that is setting the standard.
If you dont want to involve guests, could you pay a friend or neighbour to do a check after the cleaners have left?

One final thought....you mention a pool? So I'm guessing you're abroad. Could you find a pool company to do this?

Most people thing cleaning is easy...but it's not. Good cleaners give you the heads up on issues and look outside the box. They're hard to find. Plus it's rare to find anyone who has the same eye as an owner.

Best of luck.

Mousie
x
COYS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they aren't up to your required standard, cut your losses & look elsewhere.
I'm sure many if not most of us (overseas) have faced a similar dilemma, several times over in our case & it is hugely frustrating, but no amount of discussion or incentive will guarantee a rise in standards so if you feel their input isn't up to scratch, tell them so & that you will be ringing the changes otherwise. In the unlikely event they get the message you're in luck. If not, move on.

From what I've seen over the past year or so, I'm absolutely gobsmacked at the contempt with which many absentee owners & their properties are treated in their absence.
You can always guarantee when an owner, rather than a holidaymaker is due to arrive - a frantic (long overdue) clear up, cut the overgrown grass, dispose of the dead plants & weeds, overshock the pool etc. etc. As soon as they leave, it's back to minimum requirements, sad but widespread here & I suspect in plenty of other locations too.
Managing your property