Lay My Hat home page Lay My Hat Forum
The forum for holiday rental owners

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

B.com another charge

Rental listing sites
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frenchlady

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject: B.com another charge Reply with quote

Just been informed by B.com they will be charging an additional 1.1% for handling payments from guests which is unbelievable on top of the 15% they already charge us. I would like to know if this is legal as I understood companies were stopped charging fees for using credit/ debit cards?
Cymraes

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will be charging for taking the payments and handling the money - not for the use of a card.

The charge is also to you not the guests. I'm sure it is perfectly legal.

I am however very glad that I have that site set up so I take payments myself so I won't be incurring that extra charge.
oasiscouple

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree it is a bit much on top of their normal commission but to me it is still worth it to be sure of receiving payment. Last year I had some last minute cancellations and no shows and wasn't able in all cases to obtain payment. So I changed to BC handling the payments. I had a no show last week and therefore will receive the payment via BC so to me the 1.1%, although not welcome, is worth the lack of hassle chasing payment.
Frenchlady

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree that it is better for them taking the payment which is why I chose that method. Too many chances of cancellations or no shows otherwise. My gripe is that it is another cost on top of their already high commission and just increases the room rates. B.com have phoned us this evening and we have voiced our rage. Will still have to accept it but not happily.
CSE

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The charges amount to more than 15% as they charge commission over your prices including taxes. Work it out.
Reiver

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be just a tad happier if they offered the option to accept, and then refund, damage deposits.
The trouble with companies like this is that you just know they're ripping you off for every single cent that they can get away with ... it leaves a bad taste in the mouth...;-(
kendalcottages

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious that you all mention 1.1% as their email to me stated 1.3%. I wonder why...?
featherc

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ours is 1.4%! There are other ways to avoid no-shows. We ask for a deposit to confirm a reservation. If there is no response, Booking.com will cancel the reservation after appropriate exchanges of messages with the traveller. We also have a page on our own web site for secure card payments so we don't need their Online Payments. HOWEVER, please see our new post that we might not have a choice!
Rental listing sites