Lay My Hat home page Lay My Hat Forum
The forum for holiday rental owners

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Chlorinated Pool Owners : Where Does Your Backwash Go?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lay My Hat Forum Index -> Managing your garden and pool
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LotBoy47

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject: Chlorinated Pool Owners : Where Does Your Backwash Go? Reply with quote

My adventures in pool maintenance continue having rebuilt both multiport valve and our pump impeller recently.

After some detective work, it appears that the waste is directed to the gravel bed area of the main fosse. This is obviously bad from a chemicals Vs. good bacteria point of view and very bad from a 400 litres per minute hydraulic destruction point of view.

Number 1,264 in an increasing series of Why the **** did they do it like that? moments here in Dept 47.

There are no public drains to direct this waste water to (which is probably illegal anyway), so Im wondering if anyone else is in a similar situation and how you deal with the waste water from your pool generated by backwashing and vacuuming to waste.
SPJ

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pipe goes straight to the edge of a bank and the water gushes down a gulley between our land and our neighbouring farmer's. In the 12 years we've been here he's never complained and there's no evidence that it's affected the quality of his crops. Must say, never thought about it until you raised the question.
LotBoy47

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our American friends usually just spray it over their lawn or run off downhill.

As it will be human-safe pool water with very low level of bio-crud from the sand filter, Im pretty sure it wont hurt anything.

I do have a nice tennis court sized patch of weeds I can test it out on as it happens.

Looks like I have another plumbing project on my hands...
Moliere

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We live on a hill and a few days ago I heard the sound of rushing water. I discovered the chap across the road was discharging his pool straight out onto the road, where it rushed down the hill!

Ten points for chutzpah anyway.

Mols
LotBoy47

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We drain everything downhill and it sucks to live in the valley! appears to be a thing around here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lay My Hat Forum Index -> Managing your garden and pool All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: