Availability Calendar

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Hells Bells

Availability Calendar

Post by Hells Bells »

OK, because of frequent enquiries (8 in the last week) for dates that have been booked for several weeks, I have decided that I need to do something about it. My first thought was to display the availability calendar I use on the page, rather than using a link. However, my website is created using a template (1and1), and I'm not sure if it is possible. The other thing is, if it is possible, how do I do it?
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Helen
Bit difficult to comment without seeing structure of template. Can you stick it in a table within the template?

Why not ask the guy who provides the calendar (Paul?)? He would normally have an instant answer - no?

How about copying the method that HRentals uses? OK, sorry.

Does it really matter? I've got a few hundred enquiry addresses that I'm mulling over whether to pass on to another chalet, or to use next season (or for our cancellations). I know that's controversial around here.

MGoat
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Probably doesn't matter, but I am now looking to convert the text links to a more visible button instead. I have already asked Paul about it, and that is his solution. I think he already looked at the possibility of displaying it directly on the web page for me when I started out wth him last year. The table facility on the template is absolutely awful. If anyone wants to look at it for me, I can PM them the log-in.
debk

Post by debk »

Hi, Helen -

I'm not sure if this is what you are trying to do? But here goes...

Example #1: One Calendar per page
The specific calendar for this house is embedded in the description, just below the floorplan (scroll to bottom)
http://visitingportugal.com/casajoaquina.htm

Example #2: Multi Calendars per page
We have guests who rent multiple properties for family/friends. These side-by-side calendars allow them to easily see when 2 or 3 places are open for the same dates.
http://visitingportugal.com/last-minute ... rtugal.htm

We use the free rentors.org calendars as they are picked up by VRBO and several other major listing sites (This keeps my life simple: when I update the rentors.org calendar, the changes are instantly propagated to all my listing sites including my personal webpage. Everything stays in synch.)

I embed the calendars in our personal webpages via a simple "IMG SCR=" link from Rentalbot, our rental management software. If you can display images on your 1and1 page, you can embed a calendar on your page with the Rentalbot link. You also get to decide how many months to display as well as the format. That is, the first example displays 3 months across; the side-by-side calendars are skinny (1 month wide and 12 months long) so that I could squeeze four onto the page.

Not sure that helps your situation, but fyi... :)
debk
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Thanks DEb, that may be a help. I really need to display the calendar I already have though.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

http://riverside-lodges.booking-system. ... =12&CID=32

I guess this is what I really want.
debk

Post by debk »

What calendar are you currently using?
debk
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Deb, It's holiday bookings online. It's a whole admin package, and online booking too. I have emailed them,and it is available as a custom package, but I do have to justify the cost, and wondered whether I can improve the bookings from the website without it. I need to make the links more visible.
debk

Post by debk »

Helen, by "available as a custom package" do you mean they would charge you to provide a link which would let you display your calendar on your personal web pages?

Or do you want guests to be able to manipulate your calendar (eg, see rates or check-in dates) as well?

The first is simple and I wouldn't think anyone would charge you for it; the second would be something 'fancy' that I would expect to pay for.

Just curious what "custom package" means here. (Sorry to be noisy... I just like to keep abreast of different options for the next time I re-do our site.) Thanks!
debk
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

The custom package adds the calendar directly to a page. I already have the link. I want the calendar, which updates itself at each booking, to be visible on the page,it would also be designed to fit in with my exisiting site, colour scheme etc, so yes, I will have to pay for the web designer to do this. I already have the calendar up and running, and visitors to the website access it currently via a text link. This isn't working very well, despite adding lots of links to the site, as almost everyone who opens my prices page, then email me asking for dates that are already booked. I am going to try and add buttons instead, using a .gif image, and a link. I am seriously considering the other option though, as I think it looks quite good.
Helen
debk

Post by debk »

We had the same problem, Helen, but putting the calendar directly on the page did help.

Of course, some people are just whipping through sites not bothering to check calendars nor other details. (Personally, those typically are not the people we're looking to host.)

Good luck with the new approach!
debk
DanielLee

More on Rent Calendars

Post by DanielLee »

Hi,

I have a web site which has a lot of individual vacation rentals, what I would like to have is a calendar program similar to the one seen at the link below.

I like the renters.org calendar but do not want the renter to have to go to each rental to check availability. I like some of the calendars which were linked to in this thread but prefer the lay out of the one I linked to because of the way the rentals are laid out by the number of bedrooms and the ease with which the renter can see what is available by just clicking on the month they want to rent.

But I want the calendar to be hosted on my server so I provide the service for free to the renters who will mark the calendar and to the renters who are looking for an available rental.

http://www.powell-graphics.com/calendar ... lendar.cgi

That most likely means I would have to buy the software. I don't know much more than that about how it all will work, but I do know what I want to end up with.

Any assistance appreciated.

Adios for now,

Daniel Hallas
Costa Alegre Properties and Vacation Rentals
www.lamanzanilla.info
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

We use the free rentors.org calendars as they are picked up by VRBO and several other major listing sites (This keeps my life simple: when I update the rentors.org calendar, the changes are instantly propagated to all my listing sites including my personal webpage. Everything stays in synch.)
Deb..I like this idea and I've just registered with Rentors.org..but what do I need to do the get the dates 'in sync' with the calendars on the other listing sites that I use? I've had a look, but there are no instructions as to what to do...(or maybe I'm probably not looking in the right place! )

Edited.... :oops: :oops: Just realised you can only do this with their partner sites..not any other rental listing sites!