Lay My Hat home page Lay My Hat Forum
The forum for holiday rental owners

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Noise Monitoring - Party Prevention Alarm

Managing your property
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sparks

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:11 pm    Post subject: Noise Monitoring - Party Prevention Alarm Reply with quote

Installed a Minut last month at the property and have been evaluating it.

https://www.minut.com

It monitors temperature, humidity, motion, noise levels and pressure. I've always been concerned that someone would rent the cottage and hold a party but the noise level alarm has somewhat set my mind at rest. You can also set a motion alarm when the property is empty.

Discount code JSE8MYj gives 20% off.

No connection to the company but if people use the code I get an enhanced discount on my next purchase.
Drax

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting post Sparks.
Having just suffered a burglary at our holiday cottage I am considering having some form of alarm installed and the Minut device could be a solution.
akwe-xavante

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually had a young man phone me to enquire about booking my cottage last autumn.

He specifically asked to book just one night! I asked why as this was very unusual.

He replied "It's my 18th Birthday and ..........."

I said no!
KAB-Dennis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:39 pm    Post subject: TABLETS THAT MONITOR Reply with quote

We have some online U.S. wide management companies (TURNKEY, VACASA, EVOLVE) here in and I have spoken to two of the three this month so sorry I cannot tell you which one for certain but I think it is Turnkey.

They have a tablet that they put in the property that acts like our Welcome Book and tells guests all about the property, passwords etc. BUT the tablet will tell them if more than X number of people are using the internet (OCCUPANCY ISSUES) and the tablet also monitors noise.

Not sure how intrusive this is for the guest but I guess its a bonus for the owners.
newtimber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: TABLETS THAT MONITOR Reply with quote

KAB-USA wrote:

They have a tablet that they put in the property that acts like our Welcome Book and tells guests all about the property, passwords etc. BUT the tablet will tell them if more than X number of people are using the internet (OCCUPANCY ISSUES) and the tablet also monitors noise.

No device can tell you how many people are using the internet. You can see how many devices, but they may be the same person . For example someone may have a work laptop, a tablet and a mobile and they may all be using the internet at the same time.
zebedee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: TABLETS THAT MONITOR Reply with quote

newtimber wrote:
KAB-USA wrote:

No device can tell you how many people are using the internet. You can see how many devices, but they may be the same person . For example someone may have a work laptop, a tablet and a mobile and they may all be using the internet at the same time.

Sounds like me .... Sad Sad
Sandyppp

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We’ve had a Minut Point for nearly a year. I can check when guests arrive and leave, when the cleaners have been in and I get alerts when the management company have tested the fire alarms. All good.
KAB-Dennis

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandyppp wrote:
We’ve had a Minut Point for nearly a year. I can check when guests arrive and leave, when the cleaners have been in and I get alerts when the management company have tested the fire alarms. All good.

Sandy is that possibly a UK/EU only service .....very interested in finding out more. Thanks JUST GOOGLED IT AN FOUND IT WILL READ MORE AND WOULD LOVE TO HEAR MORE OF YOUR INPUT ABOUT THE SERVICE !!! Thank you

Last edited by KAB-Dennis on Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:34 am; edited 1 time in total
KAB-Dennis

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: TABLETS THAT MONITOR Reply with quote

newtimber wrote:
KAB-USA wrote:

Yes I do know that ...... I meant to say devices not people......
Sandyppp

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kate

Ask me any questions, I really like it. I was at the Short Stay Show in London last year and saw it demonstrated and was impressed. You can set parameters for when to be alerted, eg when the noise or humidity or temperature goes above a certain level, or if there is movement when there shouldn’t be.

I didn’t want anything where I could actually “listen” to guests. I have absolutely no idea what noise they are making, just what the decibel level is.

The only problem is it needs to be charged approx every three months and when you are a long way away that can be a headache.
KAB-Dennis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandyppp wrote:

Ask me any questions, I really like it. I was at the Short Stay Show in London last year and saw it demonstrated and was impressed. You can set parameters for when to be alerted, eg when the noise or humidity or temperature goes above a certain level, or if there is movement when there shouldn’t be.

I didn’t want anything where I could actually “listen” to guests. I have absolutely no idea what noise they are making, just what the decibel level is.

The only problem is it needs to be charged approx every three months and when you are a long way away that can be a headache.

THank you Sandy I havve done some reading bout the different types and this seems like one I would try. Craziness here this week but when things settle down and I think of some questions I will send them along...... THANK YOU !!!

ONE QUESTION I HAVE NOW IS = where in your home do you install it and I believe it has an outdoor version as well.
Sandyppp

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have it on the ceiling, next to the smoke alarm. It’s in the main living room/kitchen. You can’t walk into the room without passing under it, and it is pretty unobtrusive so guests don’t notice it.
Managing your property