Warning: file_get_contents(/home/laymyhat/public_html/forum/includes/../../images/ad-snippet-0.txt): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/laymyhat/public_html/forum/includes/page_header.php on line 450

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/laymyhat/public_html/forum/includes/page_header.php:450) in /home/laymyhat/public_html/forum/includes/page_header.php on line 484

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/laymyhat/public_html/forum/includes/page_header.php:450) in /home/laymyhat/public_html/forum/includes/page_header.php on line 486

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/laymyhat/public_html/forum/includes/page_header.php:450) in /home/laymyhat/public_html/forum/includes/page_header.php on line 487
Lay My Hat :: View topic - Thinking about moving hosting provider
Lay My Hat home page Lay My Hat Forum
The forum for holiday rental owners

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Thinking about moving hosting provider

Personal websites
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SPJ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Thinking about moving hosting provider Reply with quote

I have my own gite website, designed with great help from this forum.
As I understand little or nothing about the whole process I have stuck with the original recommended hosting company.

I'm coming up for renewal and it seems to me I'm paying a lot for something I barely use - the website just sits there with a few tweaks from time to time and I rarely if ever use their support.

I'm with siteground and have a .com domain in France. I'm paying 275.88 for a year's hosting to Growbig hosting and one year's domain of 15.99.

I am wondering how these prices compare with other companies'. Also how complicated / difficult is it to swap hosting companies?

I'd be grateful for thoughts/suggestions. Thanks Sue
SusanMay

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm also with Siteground and in a similar situation to you. Just wondering if you need the Growbig package if you stick with Siteground? I have the StartUp hosting one and it's been sufficient and saves some money.
newtimber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have a very cheap "introductory offer" which then becomes very expensive after a year. You could of course that with them and create a new account every year and close the old account but it seems a lot of hassle. Even the basic one is very expensive after a year.

I would avoid this type of company and choose a company that has sensible "regular" prices. I use Krystal but there are lots of web hosts out there that don't use this cheap price to entice, then hope you won't switch...
bornintheuk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used penguin-uk.com for over 15 yrs with no issues and a helpful "tech" section. Around 10 pa for starter pack.
SPJ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your replies - sorry I've been slow to react. Not getting notifications for some reason.

I've renewed with siteground for another month so that I can give myself a bit of breathing space to look at alternatives. There seem to be so many options it's positively overwhelming!
SusanMay

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is pertinent:

https://rentmoreweeks.com/making-your-hospitality-website-lightning-fast/
SPJ

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Susan.
Personal websites