Potential guests asking to download a file from Google drive

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
AngloDutch

Potential guests asking to download a file from Google drive

Post by AngloDutch »

We received an email from a Louis Jacksont a few days ago...

''Hello, I am planning to stay with you for a couple of days. Can I ask a question about booking here?''

and this morning from an Irene Martin (having an email address showing Irine Martin). Both gmail accounts.

''Hello, my name is Irene Martin I would like to book a room in your hotel, but my daughter is allergic to cleaning products, I will send you a list with these products with the following message,could you take a look ?''

They were sent via the contact page on our website to our actual email address.

I answered Louis Jackson because it could have easily been an American or Canadian potential guest. We have received this kind of short enquiries from North Americans in the past.

The reply came back as follows:

''Hello,

Sorry to disturb you from your work, but at the moment, I have a very important request, my daughter has down syndrome and she can hurt herself, so I want to send you a file for the care of our hotel room, would appreciate it if these items in are not in our room, the whole list of substances that can cause discomfort to my daughter and can also cause anxiety attacks, please see this file and let us know if this is possible. We're willing to pay extra for it.

For some reason I uploaded the file to xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Password of file: 123456

The file supported only on PC

Thank you''

The person is now referring to a 'hotel room' and is also asking to download a file from Google drive. So, this looks like some kind of ransomware attack.

So, be aware if you receive any emails from an Irene (Irine) Martin or a Louis Jackson (or anyone else) with similar text about a handicapped child and then eventually asking to download a file