Reciprocal arrangements with other owners: good or bad?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Jimbo

Reciprocal arrangements with other owners: good or bad?

Post by Jimbo »

I wondered if any members had reciprocal arrangements with other local gite owners to 'exchange' bookings when you/they don't have capacity? Or is this not good commercial sense?

Jim
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Very good question - last year I did do that with another owner whom I didn't know, but who has a property near us, the ad for which I found on one of the sites we list on. I was OK for bookings at the time (except for those dratted shoulder seasons) so she was glad of the referrals, and I made a good friend out of it - but no, it doesn't make economic sense, unless you're very confident! There's the risk that you've thought of, of the party you've referred on enjoying themselves so much at the other property that they re-book there for the following year! And tell their friends!

I've wondered about the possibility though of referring to people a bit further away. The risk is still there but less if the punters were more keen to see/revisit your area another time. Am I making sense? You may be helping latecomers, which always gives one a nice feeling. And we all like to think that what goes around comes around eventually.

I have seen members here posting about referring people to other owner properties as a stopping off point on route if the party are driving further south, eg. That too is a nice idea.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
brenda

Post by brenda »

We used to have several rental properties in Mallorca including a Studio in the same building as friends of ours.

We had a reciprocal arrangement and it worked brilliantly for all of us. particularly useful in hard to fill periods when we could capture families requiring more than one property.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

I know what you mean Gasc....

I do pass on bookings[mostly to LMH members :wink: ]
but I spose you are letting them see the opposition.....

But then again theyre going to find somewhere if you dont book them and whose to say they wont fall in love with that area.....
Unless of course we only send them to 'Grotty' places....theres a thought...dya think theres a Website named that.... :wink: :roll: :lol:

Im actually trying to find something for a lady at the moment and am scouring other websites for her.....a place[or 2] for 10 Aug 4th- 18th Spanish coast..... :?:
Am I tooo soft..... :roll:
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

If you've the time Ros, even though she may not need that kind of help (already IT literate eg) she'll remember you for it.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
reddevil

Post by reddevil »

Scenario 1. If we were booked for that period and we did not refer the guests to anybody else then they would find some other accommodation (maybe different street or area). Booking is lost - so go to trendy bar for a drink on our own.

Scenario 2 - If we were booked for that period and we referred to a neighbour:-
a) The holiday guests liked it so much that they returned to the same neighbours villa next year. Booking is lost but should get a drink from the neighbour at least.
b) The holiday guests liked it so much that they tried to return to the same neighbours villa the following year but the neighbour was fully booked and so referred them to you. Delayed booking successful, but need to buy a drink for the neighbour.
c) Guests decides to book elsewhere anyway. Nothing lost but can share a drink with the neighbour.

Scenario 3 - If we were booked for that period and we referred to a neighbour but the guests did not book. Then maybe the next day the neighbour will refer a different guest for one of their fully booked periods. If the guests decide to book then go out and paint the town red and bring the whole of the street with you.

.....what a wonderful world this would be.
--------------------------------------------------
What would you attempt to do if you knew you would not fail?
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

what a wonderful world this would be
Maybe it already is Eh Paul..... :wink:
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I don't officially have a reciprocal arrangement with anyone, but I do know of a few places nearby that are of good quality, so when I don't have room for an inquirer, I refer them out. I figure that it doesn't hurt me as they can't book with me anyway, and there's a chance they'll remember my kindness next year!

Though I could be being naive about it, I suppose...
Brooke
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I used to love to help people because I thought it would leave them with a nice feeling & therefore remember you... and I had agreements with 2 other 4 bed properties...but to behonest - I just don't have the time now.

It did work quite well tho' for the others ...they got quite a few from me but the problem was, that as our villa is, lets say, more reasonably priced than others (as we don't do the standard thing and increase the price in school holidays) then we were the first point of contact...so it tended to be a bit all one way i.e. from us! But the good thing with that is that they would always come back to us.

The most I do now is pass them on to a friend if they want a 5-bed place.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I have been asked by someone in the next village to do this, but I'm still not sure I will. I contacted them initially to see what response they had had from Holiday Rentals.
chrismooney

Post by chrismooney »

we actually took referrals from other gite owners in the south of france as geographically we are ideally placed for visitors going to and from the south of france and beyond in the centre region of france. we would only take people for minimum 2 nights...our nearest b and b has minimum 4 nights which is stretching it a bit!!!if they are full they will send to us and vice versa obviously subject to our individual availability.
this year we will set up a 'ring -a-round' group which is what most local hotels do in the uk so then at least we can all help each other in busy times, so i would say referrals are a good way of bringing gite/b and b/chambre d'hote owners together.
chef who will try anything!!
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

As we are on a complex of about 60 apts I contacted a few last year and now have a list of a few owners to refer people on to if I cannot accommodate them. Also as one owner said, sometimes they have friends over and need another apt to fit them all in, so I am happy to have a small list and help eachother out. I have had some people thank me and say if they ever return they will book with us, maybe they will maybe they won't but on the whole I think it is a good thing, people should help eachother out, it makes the world a nicer place :lol:
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm