Credit Cards

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
tansy

Post by tansy »

I've read this thread with great interest as I really thought I was going to have to take credit cards and was starting to sway towards the VRBO offer or paypal.

But then the other day I tried to make a payment by paypal...it would not go through - no number to call - in the end I rang Barclaycard..they can't explain it either as I had used all the correct security codes...even Barclaycard gave up trying to help...so I'm thinking what if that happened with someone trying to book :roll:

I also paid for our own holiday on a credit card on line via an online booking form - I was hit with so many charges I was horrified and felt that I wasn't in control...it was a messy procedure and quite frankly I then thought what if this happened with someone trying to book with us

To be frank, I haven't had a problem when I've said sorry we are too small to take credit cards...and as John Borg says SWIFT seems to be the cheapest.

The problem you have as well, is that, even though we are in Euro zone you still get charged as a foreign transaction if the euro cheque comes from say Germany to France! The banks have got exceptionally greedy.

I sometimes go down the old fashioned route and suggest Bureau Exchange...never have had a problem...in fact folk seem quite relieved in a way... at least everyone can see what they are getting rate wise etc. also there is the option to shop around for the best rate with no commission etc. This offer has helped especially Americans - I only offer to those I feel are more than genuine who have sent deposits, then when it has arrived I find I have been charged at my end by the bank and they have also been charged at their end!

So I have gone full circle and have decided I will stick with my system and will not for the time being take credit cards.

But - I am here - just up the road from both the houses, whereas some of you are long way away.

But have a look at the VRBO.com credit card system - I was tempted, I did half calculate the charges v bank charges I incurred last year it was more expensive...but I was thinking convienence at the time - but I don't actually think taking a credit card makes or breaks a booking.