web graphic effects

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
Paul Carmel

web graphic effects

Post by Paul Carmel »

Hi,

The music and loo are off! But what do people think of those trailing words that follow cursers around? Also, what do you think about macromedia flash ie photos etc fading in and out?
Cheers
PC
paolo

Post by paolo »

Trailing words = very, very bad

Rotating pics can be a really appealing way to show your highlights without having to scroll. If you're not sure what this looks like, see Minda's site:
http://www.tuscanyholidaycottage.co.uk/
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Doe's that kind of flash slow down download time if not on ADSL?
Cheers
PC
reddevil

Post by reddevil »

It's a personal opinion, but IMO I hate anything moving on the front page. The only exception could be slow changing photos, but even then it distracts me from reading the text.
--------------------------------------------------
What would you attempt to do if you knew you would not fail?
livinginitaly

Post by livinginitaly »

Whilst I 'used' to sit firmly in the 'pro flash' camp. The last few years have changed my mind.

Mainly because, back then I thought it wouldn't be long before 'all' pc's could view flash files (it was around 98% back then!).

In the real world however, flash still causes problems, as does using 'java' to create the animation.

It can also be done using dynamic html, but again some problems .... and, it does add quite heavily to the 'download' times.

All in all, i'm now in the 'no fancy stuff' camp ...... oh god i'm my grandad!
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Thank you for all of that!

Tony, maybe you could give our cat some grooming tips
Cheers
PC
livinginitaly

Post by livinginitaly »

Our 'senior stylist' has passed out at the thought of the work involved :)
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

In my 'umble opinion - and with or without the benefit of a few glasses of wine - trailing words are worse than music or photos of toilets. I find myself trying to shake them off. Nuff said :twisted:
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Trailing words are evil :twisted: I'm pretty much in favour of keeping it simple.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Yeah, what they said :) trailing words and flash = kill me, just kill me now.

Flash does have its place, but I firmly believe that place is nowhere near a rental property website!

(I am definitely an old-school HTML'er, though.)
Brooke
rich_sipe

Post by rich_sipe »

LONG LIVE FLASH! :mrgreen:

I think flash is great for a variety of applications, indlucing rental websites. Let me preface this by saying my site does not YET have flash but just wait ... :shock:

I do agree that you are asking for trouble if you do your whole site in flash. I have done a few flash only sites for people but for different markets and would not do a flash only vacation rental website. The bulk of the site should probably be a simple combination of text and graphics that gives people a feel for your property and all the necessare rate and availablity information.

I think a perfect use for flash on a rental website would be to display photos and maybe even a photo tour. With flash you can easily transition between photos and give the user navigation capabilities within your photo gallery. You can also easily give the users a non-flash option. This way you can appeal to those razzle-dazzle browsers who might be swayed by a more dynamic presentation.

Just a suggestion.

PS DIE EVIL MOUSE TRAILERS and I do hate the stupid flash advertisements that want you to swat the bug or have jumping mortgage rates
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Okay, okay, so maybe Flash would be appropriate for a photo tour. :wink:

But then again, you could also do that in Javascript, and that doesn't require extra software that the user may have to download!

I know, I know, I'm stubborn. :)
Brooke