Is someone trying to hack my email?

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Rocket Rab

Is someone trying to hack my email?

Post by Rocket Rab »

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help me with a worry I have about my website...

Having set up Statcounter, I can keep an eye on visits to my website. Amongst other things, I can see the referring URL.

From time to time, the referring URL is given as:

http://webmail.aol.com/25045/aol/en-gb/ ... UNt0tq_HBt

Maybe I shouldn't even post that here on this forum, but...

I am with AOL, and it's the 'GetMessage' bit that worries me.

Clicking on the URL will take you to an AOL screen which tells me I am no longer logged into AOL :? and when you click on OK you are whisked to another screen with my ScreenName in full view :? ..

Anyone have any clues?

A Worried Wab.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Wab
We can't see your name via that link, so it may be a cookie on your machine which is showing it?

MG
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

I don't think you need to be too worried Wab.

You'll see that sort of referrer when someone has sent the URL to your website in an email, and the recipient of that email is using AOL webmail and the recipient then clicks on the link in the email.

Have you sent such an email to anyone with an aol address - even maybe to yourself ?

Or perhaps one of your happy guests is recommending your place to a friend.

As I say, I don't think there is anythingh to worry about; probably on the contrary, its a good thing.
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Ahhhh, MG and e-Richard: listen hard, you'll hear a sigh of relief at this end! I had visions of someone slaving over a hot computer in the Congo (maybe?) trying to siphon off my every email....bank account details..bookings...simply HUGE client database (not!)...the whole kit and caboodle :shock: (Alas, I am obviously not that important!)

Thanks guys.
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Or perhaps one of your happy guests is recommending your place to a friend.
I've seen webmail 'logouts' on our stats with Statcounter...and agree with the above. It was probably just a coincidence it was AOL Rab...also the login page was to do with cookies....just checked with my 24 hour 'help-desk support' (Hubby :wink: ).
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Thanks Crystal (and hub!). This has been worrying me for a while - needlessly, obviously..