Connecting DVD Recorder to TV and Digibox - Help!

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
slartibartfast
Location: Ovacik , Olu Deniz, Hisaronu , Fethiye ,Turkey ..but live in Perth

Post by slartibartfast »

Carole , my needle has stuck !

How often will you ever put TV recordings onto a DVD. My bet is a lot less than you think. There are better ways to "copy" a DVD and will you really be burning 4 hours worth of Coronation Street to take on holiday with you ?.

If you plan to burn films which are shown on freeview etc. it's worth checking the copy protection won't prevent you from doing that. I think Freeview should be OK but I wouldn't know about BT Vision pay-to-view stuff (the numerous forum out there will be able to tell you for whatever provider you decide on).

Generally speaking it's often too tempting to choose the all-singing-all-dancing option "just in case" and end up with a less than perfect solution for 99% of your usage and at a higher cost.

You will be relieved to hear that's my last word on the subject :wink:
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

If you plan to burn films which are shown on Freeview etc. it's worth checking the copy protection won't prevent you from doing that

No problem with Freeview.

MG
Rosbif

Post by Rosbif »

Hahaha thanks Ian, I am sure you a right I will fork out £280 on a flash one then never burn anything to DVD! I would never burn 4 hours of corrie either :D don't even watch it very often only if I am really bored!

I was really just thinking of burning films to put in the apt, but I guess that's not really essential either and I probably wont go over there that often to update them anyway. I can burn DVD's on my laptop so could work something out with that instead if I really want to do it.

The on demand films on BT vision won't be able to be recorded I don't think as they are just available for 24 hours and are not actually saved on your hard disk or anything.

You are starting to convince me .....
Rosbif

Post by Rosbif »

OK ..... I've ordered BT Vision! But it can't be installed until 24th September :(

I figured I have nothing to lose, it is only costing me £30 for a connection fee as I already subscribe to BT Broadband. I also have to agree to another 12 months subscription but thats OK.

I will see how it goes and if its not the complete solution I want then will get a DVD Recorder as well. I noticed too that you can get downloads to your PC for a small fee of films etc so I could download a few decent films and put on DVD for the apt, cheaper than buying the DVD's!

Job done... will let you know what happens. Thanks for all your advice guys and girls.
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

Hurray a decision :wink:

I would guess film downloads to your PC will managed by a software package and it may not be easy to burn them to a DVD. No doubt someone will have figured out how .....

Good luck and let us know how you get on (and if I've given you a bum steer). As an existing BT Broadband customer it sounds like a no-brainer for you (when it is installed and if it works) :lol:
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

Oops I lied ..... it wasn't my last word :oops:
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Dabs have a good deal at the moment - twin tuner (watch one / record one) Freeview 160GB hard-drive recorder at less than £100. Difficult to beat that, but pity not Sony prog. guide system:

Twin Tuner PVR

MG
Rosbif

Post by Rosbif »

Wow thats great MG, I might just buy one of those as well, will help with the Rugby World cup anyway as the BT Vision doesn't arrive for another two weeks!
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Keep in mind that there's no DVD involved on this model - just hard-drive.....which may not be exactly what you want in the future.

MG