Long-term lettings

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Loopy Lou

Long-term lettings

Post by Loopy Lou »

Does anyone have a contract and/or booking form for long-term lettings (e.g. a month or more) suitable for a winter let for a gite? I have adapted my summer terms&conditions, but perhaps something a bit more formal would be better?

I am advertising long-term lets from October to May and have received an enquiry for October that I am praying will come to fruition.

Fingers and toes crossed.

LL
Louise
www.lacharronniere.com delightful gites in the Vienne countryside.
J&J

Post by J&J »

My understanding is that anything up to six months can be covered by a holiday let contract. Indeed the main advantage of this is that establishes the fact that the person is "on holiday" and there is no question of it being his/her main or only address. The person's "home" address should be clearly stated on the contract. This, of course, means that your tenant will not be able to use your address for any formal purpose as he/she will not have any proof that it is a permanent address but it does protect you from the scary status of a long term tenant.

If you are intending to let for six months or more then, whether you like it or not, it automatically becomes a long term let in any case. With this comes all the legal protection that French tenants have under the law and it could be difficult to get them out if they don't want to go at the end of the agreement. For long term tenancy agreements you would be well advised to contact a Notaire to arrange for the agreement to be drawn up properly. It is quite usual for the cost of this to be met by the tenant.
Ju

Post by Ju »

I thought three months was the limit ( I might be completely wrong of course).

Sorry - I can't help with a contract. I think Alan has had some long term lets, perhaps he can help.

Ju
J&J

Post by J&J »

Yes, I also heard that, but it may only apply to Gites de France contracts. I think that between 3 and 6 months it enters a sort of grey area. It definitely only becomes a mandatory long term let at six months. I'm sure, as you say, Alan can clarify.

I must say I've never felt that winter lets would be worthwhile. It's not possible to charge much, and the additional wear and tear can lead an owner to being out of pocket. I've heard some pretty awful stories about the state that some winter tenants leave a property in when they vacate - with little time left for the owner to clean up and buy new equipment and furniture before the Easter guests arrive.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

J&J in Brittany wrote:
I must say I've never felt that winter lets would be worthwhile. It's not possible to charge much, and the additional wear and tear can lead an owner to being out of pocket. I've heard some pretty awful stories about the state that some winter tenants leave a property in when they vacate - with little time left for the owner to clean up and buy new equipment and furniture before the Easter guests arrive.
And you also have the possiblity of having someone awful living on your doorstep for months on end - if guests aren't your cup of tea, are only here for two weeks and are paying a good price, it is much more bearable than having someone you don't like paying a pittance and being there for ages.
Last edited by la vache! on Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ju

Post by Ju »

I agree with you both, which is why I don't do it, but perhaps Lou thinks it is worthwhile.

Ju
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Dear All,

I'm in the middle of a course of major dental surgery at the moment and it's no fun at all. Image

I'm really in no fit condition to answer any questions but I will try to in a few days.

In the meantime, when it comes to long term bookings take great care.

Alan
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Oooh, Alan, my sympathies. Take care of yourself - there's very little that's more misery-making than that.

Regards,
TC
Debut novelist at http://tinyurl.com/or89jle

http://wivenhoewriters.blogspot.co.uk/
Contributor to anthology 'In a Word: Murder'
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

On reflection, the pros and cons of long term lettings have already been discussed in some detail. I don't remember the thread but hopefully someone else will. It will relieve me from preparing a long message and avoid the danger of contradicting myself (again).

Although I have adopted long lets as my way forward I don’t think I would recommend them as a sensible alternative on an occasional or casual basis. There are just too many complications and things to consider. Questions about who pays for building insurance, contents insurance, local taxes, water rates, electricity and other energy supplies, telephone, etc. have to be settled. Who is liable for major and minor repairs, routine property maintenance, redecorating, etc. have to be agreed. Of overriding importance for some owners is the possible creation of automatic renewal rights for tenants - a complete “No-No� for a holiday or second home.

I can’t recommend my diet of scrambled eggs, consommé soup and mashed potatoes either. I’m looking forward to getting back to boot-leather beef and bread made from two parts of sand and one of cement.

Alan
Loopy Lou

Post by Loopy Lou »

Dear Alan

I do feel for you, you poor thing. But just think of the mouthful of gleaming gnashers you will have when the surgery is finished - even if they are no longer yours!!!!

Re long-term lets; I certainly won't be contemplating 6-month lets, on reflection, because none of my gites is big enough to satisfy anyone for that length of time. A month or two, yes. Anyway, I have still to have the proposed let for October confirmed and they wanted to arrive this Friday.

Don't think it will be a goer, somehow. Another disappointment. :(

LL

PS: Do tell me where is the restaurant that serves boot-leather beef and cement sandwiches and I will avoid it like the plague. :lol:
Louise
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Louise,

Unless you want to convert to long term lets, as I have, I really wouldn’t bother. For most owners they are more trouble than they are worth.
boot-leather beef and cement sandwiches
That’s my way of saying that the best meal I ever had in my life was in France and that the worst meal I ever had in my life was also in France. It's my way of saying French beef is variable in quality, as is the bread.

Alan
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Alan Knighting wrote: It's my way of saying French beef is variable in quality, as is the bread.

Alan
TC here - isn't that true with the bread? I've just discovered that one of my local bakeries does a wonderful pain aux 6 cereales, like the really good all grain (heavy) bread that you get in the UK. It lasts almost a week and tastes wonderful. The same bakery makes the worst baguettes etc. I've ever had, really crusty and full of air.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

La Vache wrote:
Alan Knighting wrote: It's my way of saying French beef is variable in quality, as is the bread.

Alan
TC here - isn't that true with the bread? I've just discovered that one of my local bakeries does a wonderful pain aux 6 cereales, like the really good all grain (heavy) bread that you get in the UK. It lasts almost a week and tastes wonderful. The same bakery makes the worst baguettes etc. I've ever had, really crusty and full of air.
Perhaps I shouldn't say this for fear of being completely destroyed by the dedicated Francophiles but I think the variety and quality of bread in the UK is fantastic. Mind you, I think the same thing about hard cheeses.

Alan
Loopy Lou

Post by Loopy Lou »

We went slightly off topic there, guys, but just to say that the enquiry I received for a month-long let in October has not converted to a booking, drat it.

Oh well, c'est la vie. Disappointing. :(
Louise
enid

Post by enid »

I had a long let last winter - an apprentice of my builder and had a contract in french for him. he wasn't much bother - never there at weekends and one week in 4 he was at college and stayed at home then too. But I did say never again and then a couple who were here earlier on the year on a normal let asked if they could come back as they are house hunting so they are here until the New Year and I have a contract for them. I don't think it's a way to make good money and in both cases i've only done it because I was approached by someone I know.The money I do make will go towards a treat - last winter I bought a DVD recorder!

There is little work involved - I provide 2 sets of sheets and towels and then they are on their own but you do have to sort things out if they go wrong. The worst thing is not having the place to myself - I still have guests in the other gite until Sat and then one more week in Oct but then usually I am guest free and can forget all about the gites for a few months until we do the annual maintenance.

Kevin has taken a six month let in the Isle of Man and he has a very long contract!!!!

I'm sorry your October booking didn't come through - hope your season has been fine never the less.