Yahoo versus Gmail - is the answer obvious?

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Mountain Goat

Yahoo versus Gmail - is the answer obvious?

Post by Mountain Goat »

I'm fond of Gmail, as I've mentioned a few times. It's not perfect, but it's pretty close.

Because I've got a genuine (I think, though she's tending towards the dippy end of the spectrum) punter whose Yahoo account is allergic to my Gmails to her, I started a Yahoo account to deal with her (excellent LMH suggestion).

Does anyone have a Yahoo account and love it? I've got the free version, and find it several generations behind Gmail. I'm not tempted to upgrade to their £12?/year account, because the extra features don't seem to touch Gmail (which, of course, is free anyway).

It's not just the leaping 1/2 page ad on the free account, the non-memory for past contacts, the batty forwarding feature (forwards OK but doesn't keep a copy in the account), but it's just so basic.......and I miss the Google AdWords which read my mind (which of course, they're meant to).

MG
Last edited by Mountain Goat on Wed May 21, 2008 4:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I miss the Google AdWords which read my mind (which of course, they're meant to).
My favorite mind-readers are the ads for Spam recipes when I'm skimming the spam folder for real messages. That might be a bit literal.

I have both a Yahoo and a Gmail account (and Hotmail, which I never use because it's worlds behind even Yahoo). I do like the Yahoo account for some things. Namely, folders do still have a use. I am in a couple of Yahoo groups, and one of them produces at least 50 messages on any given day. That would be a bit impractical for the labeling system in Gmail -- I could still filter them out and view my other new messages, but it's easier just to have Yahoo put them all in a folder for me to browse.

But that's about the only reason I use it, other than that I've had it longer than my Gmail account. I prefer Gmail in essentially all other ways.
Brooke
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Oh, yes, spam recipes are fun, and in some cases, practical. This one's beyond parody:

Spam V***** Mousse

and what really concerns me, is that it might be for real.

MG

V***** BTW we are a family site
Wol

Post by Wol »

That recipe page is hilarious :lol:
Wol
Not the Wizard of Aus - that's MOH

http://daysontheclaise.blogspot.com/