Refreshing webpages

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Kersh

Refreshing webpages

Post by Kersh »

I’m having problems with my website because it doesn’t refresh each time a page is opened. I understand I can include something in the ‘Head’ section of the HTML. Can someone tell me what I have to put in the head to make web browsers check for new content?

Thanks
Kersh
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Kersh, would this help?

MG
Kersh

Post by Kersh »

MG, thanks for that!
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Tell us if it works!
MG
Kersh

Post by Kersh »

Umm, i've had a look at this and am not sure what to do. It appears I can get the webpage to refresh every so often (seconds that I can specify) or I can make it so the browser doesn't cashe the site. Both of which will solve the problem but i'm not sure it's the best way to do it.

I don't really want the site to refresh every 30 seconds for example. I'm concerned about unnecessarily increasing the amount of data sent by the website (which may bust my limit).

Alternatively, I don't really want browsers not to cache my site as users may want to view the site offline. I think this will also increase the data sent by my server.

Is there a way to write a rule to the meta tag that makes sure the browser has uploaded the most recent HTML document? I've had a go at searching the net but haven't found anything useful yet. I'll keep looking.

Cheers
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

http://www.gozoluxury.co.uk
actually quite nice apartment in Gozo!