php

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
la vache!

php

Post by la vache! »

Can anybody explain to me the differences between php, php3, php4 and php5? Does php5 stop more spam??
marcus

Post by marcus »

Hummm, I'm no expert here, but I can't think of any relationship between PHP version and spam. PHP is mostly a 'clever' (easier) way of constructing an HTML page from other files and from data in databases

I guess they might well have improved security, hacking, form handling type things if you have heard the new version helps with spam

I don't know what changes were made between different versions of PHP either, but for the majority of us I don't think it will make any difference, unless there was a shortcoming that was holding us back in v4 which is fixed in v5 (Brooke being the only person here perhaps that might apply to?)

Susan your rental site is not in PHP it's in HTML so it won't change anything at all - unless you have other sites...or are hoping to change to PHP
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Thanks Marcus - your're right, my site is in HTML except for the enquiry form that Brooke very kindly redid for me in php - and I had an e mail from the hosting company yesterday that said that php5 was now supported, and I just wondered what the differences between the versions were. It's way over my head, I'm not even fully au fait with html yet, so I can't foresee changing my site to php anytime soon!
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Yep, that's right, new versions of PHP typically just fix mistakes and security issues. php.net will likely have published a log list of bug-fixes and upgraded features that come with each new version, so if you're really interested, you could check there.

If your script worked in PHP4, it will almost certainly still work in PHP5, so don't worry!
Brooke
charles

Post by charles »

vrooje wrote:If your script worked in PHP4, it will almost certainly still work in PHP5, so don't worry!
I disagree: PHP5 is very different from PHP4 on many levels - I know of a number of scripts that will not work on 5 - I learned it the hard way when I accidentally upgraded my server to 5 and thus caused all manner of issues for the sites I manage/host. I would recommend checking with the originator of the code - if in doubt and if it ain't broke don't fix it! [But maybe your host is trying to tell you that they have already upgraded you to php5 :shock: ]

The php3, php4 thing is historical AFAIK - to let the server know what version the code is written in - most (all?) servers are happy with just .php now.

Cheers,
Charles
ravetildon
Location: I love Travel! - We Are Based Around San Francisco, California

info

Post by ravetildon »

yea, each new version with anything just keeps adding new features & security enhancements.

One big thing with php5 is object oriented coding. Can make coding much faster, but your code a bit slower to execute.

My host has php3 , 4, & 5 installed. So I can use em all.