Website menus - is using Javascript a problem?

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Sorry Deb - still not working with IE7.

I do see the cursor change to I bar (as with Firefox), but not drop downs. There is also an extended lighter blue box below the menus and a bit to the right. I'll take a screenshot of that if you wish.
debk

Post by debk »

Drat! :) Thanks, Richard. I knew the fix had to be too easy to be true.

Would love a screenshot. Will PM.
debk
AndyLucia

Post by AndyLucia »

Linda, another good site for CSS resources can be found at http://www.dynamicdrive.com/style/cssli ... tegory/C2/ . They have other scripts as well.
AndyLucia
If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all!!
AndyLucia

Post by AndyLucia »

debk wrote:Anyone around this lovely Valentine's evening and willing to see if these dropdowns (eg, Links&Blog -or- Properties) now work with IE7?

http://visitingportugal.com/index-old.html

Thanks!
debk
Deb,

It works fine in Opera as well, although it does do the same to some of the format as does Firefox (e.g. the way the "Insiders Fado Tour" displays).

Incidentally, if anybody is interested, I found some illuminating statistics on the changing pattern of browser use.

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
AndyLucia
If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all!!
mpprh

Post by mpprh »

Well, I got carried away and am updating my site to the new Mk 23 version. Mk 23 because I kept changing it to do what I wanted. http://www.the-languedoc-page.com

I'm glad I saw the post, particularly the word "free"!

As I added more pages to the website, the menus had became more cumbersome and took up too much space. I shied away from doing it because I hadn't found a free solution, and it looked too complex. In fact it was fairly easy from the examples I found on the link above.

A few hiccups I found on the way :

I wanted to leave spaces within the drop down menus and used a blank address. This worked on IE, but not on Firefox. I've used a full stop as a temporary solution.

It only looks friendly, if the drop down backgrounds are different from the background it will cover.

The drop down wouldn't work over a flash banner - it vanished behind it.

You cannot have too many headings if you want to cater for people using large fonts.

IE takes up more space than Firefox.

At a later stage, I'll try and work out how to do nested menus.

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
marcus

Post by marcus »

Peter,

Looks like you're missing some kind of 'lose focus' command, a selected menu stays even when you move the mouse away from it

Personally I'd be a bit nervous about so much of the html being given over to menus, because of duplicate content concerns between the pages (because of them all having the same first 500 lines etc), but perhaps I worry unnecessarily...

Cheers
mpprh

Post by mpprh »

Hmm

it has been a bit fraught.

My host decided to go down whilst I was uploading the improved version.

Still down !

Even worse, the extra code took me over the disk space and I had to buy more.

Peter
The Languedoc Page
mpprh

Post by mpprh »

Hi

It is now a little tidier, but I need to move the code to a separate page.

Peter
The Languedoc Page
ravetildon
Location: I love Travel! - We Are Based Around San Francisco, California

info

Post by ravetildon »

I would highly recommend you not use javascript for menus and use CSS instead for the drop down menu's..

The problem with javascript is search engine can't follow it (most of the time) and it can put Google bot into a loop and it will not continue crawling your site. The other issue is passing pagerank to other pages.

Not sure how advanced you are with pagerank but it's generally advisable to pass it to other pages...