Renovating a bathroom....

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Wol

Post by Wol »

Errr...Mouse...your cat is weird...It's not got some sort of complex from being forced to live on friendly terms with a Mouse maybe?
Wol
Not the Wizard of Aus - that's MOH

http://daysontheclaise.blogspot.com/
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

:lol: :lol:

don't ask where her 2nd favourite sleeping place is...Freud would have a field day! :shock:

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Re showers, we designed ours as mini-"wetroom" style, with no tray, no door, and with the floor angled to the drain. They've been very successful and popular, especially with older or disabled people, who find a raised tray difficult, and of course the kids love 'em!

Each one is set in a corner of the bathroom, the front is open and the extra wall is built from glass bricks - light, airy, simple and looks good.

An option that I can recommend, if it's appropriate for your case.

Moliere
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
CostaBlanca

Post by CostaBlanca »

Hi again,

Sorry for the delay in responding.

Chianti, thanks for your tips. I was thinking of not re-tiling completely but here in Spain in older builds, the walls are not plastered before tiling so that may be even more expensive than the tiling option. Also ceiling is only 2.5m which might be a consideration. It has ceiling coving at present but that would be damaged no doubt while removing old tiles. Tile borders are very commonly used here but I am not so keen.

Moliere, I would love a wetroom too but I don't know if it is feasible with my space. What is the minimum sized room required? Here is the current layout. 3.30 x 1.62m
The door in the plan is 80cm but mine is 62cm and the builder says it is possible to move it to the left. Oops, forgot to include the radiator which is currently left of the doorway but that could also be moved to other wall where the bidet is currently.

As Maggiem says that some people like to soak in a bath, I guess that I should inform guests if I decide to go ahead before the summer.

Many thanks for all the advice received so far. Maria
Ju

Post by Ju »

If your current bath is only 1.6m long then I don't think people will soak in it for very long. Mine is 1.7m and I don't often bathe as I can't relax properly. I'm planning a re-fit which will include a 1.8m bath so I can finally stretch out.

I can't find a decent photo of my favourite sink, but this is the type of thing I mean:

As far as the wet room idea goes, alot depends on where the room is (ie upstairs or downstairs) and whether it is an old or a new property. If it is upstairs in an old property I would definately go for an enclosed shower, downstairs in a newer property I would go for a more open shower. Full wet rooms can be a pain though unless you have just the shower in the room and nothing else. A friend of ours did it, but got fed up of having wet loo paper that they put up a screen for the shower in the end.

We stayed at a place in Spain that had a real wet room - ie just a shower - and we put all four of the children in at once with some bubble mix. They had a ball, and only came out once the bubbles started to come under the door (about 45 minutes later). I guess they must use an enormous amount of hot water!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Well our showers are approx 100 x 130 cms, so if you can fit that in (perhaps replacing your bidet?), and you can re-arrange your floors to allow proper drainage (you need about 1 to 2 cm drop) it's not hard, and it really works so well.

Bon chance :)

Moliere
CostaBlanca

Post by CostaBlanca »

Ju wrote:I can't find a decent photo of my favourite sink, but this is the type of thing I mean:
Thanks for the pic. Yes, cleaning of that sink would be a doddle.
If it is upstairs in an old property I would definately go for an enclosed shower, downstairs in a newer property I would go for a more open shower. Full wet rooms can be a pain though unless you have just the shower in the room and nothing else. A friend of ours did it, but got fed up of having wet loo paper that they put up a screen for the shower in the end.
Okay, that might rule out a wet room I guess. I guess you need a biggish room to start with.
We stayed at a place in Spain that had a real wet room - ie just a shower - and we put all four of the children in at once with some bubble mix. They had a ball, and only came out once the bubbles started to come under the door (about 45 minutes later). I guess they must use an enormous amount of hot water!

Oops, not so good then for our rather arid and droughty country.
Cheers, Maria
CostaBlanca

Post by CostaBlanca »

Moliere wrote:Well our showers are approx 100 x 130 cms, so if you can fit that in (perhaps replacing your bidet?), and you can re-arrange your floors to allow proper drainage (you need about 1 to 2 cm drop) it's not hard, and it really works so well.
Sorry Moliere, more questions. I can get 100 x 130 by moving the doorway. But as Ju says, does not everything get wet in the room?. Do you have the same tiling in the rest of the room as on the base of the shower?

Merci,
Maria
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

CostaBlanca wrote:Sorry Moliere, more questions. I can get 100 x 130 by moving the doorway. But as Ju says, does not everything get wet in the room?. Do you have the same tiling in the rest of the room as on the base of the shower
Merci,
Maria
Nope - It all depends how it's arranged, we don't have a room-sized wetroom, maybe that's where the confusion has arisen, I was just trying to describe our tray-free shower areas which are situated in normal bathrooms (3 of them). the rest of which areas are dry as a bone. If someone can tell me how to load a photo onto here, I could show you what I mean. We have the same tiles throughout, just in the shower enclosures they are arranged to drain.
CostaBlanca

Post by CostaBlanca »

Hi Moliere,
If the pic is already located on a website, all you need to do is post the url or use the Img tags when posting a reply.
If not, I use http://www.imageshack.us/ to host photos but you can use Webshots, Flickr, etc. or your own ISP webspace and post the link as above. If I can do it, :D :D

Or send me the pic and I will post it for you.

Thanks again.
cromercrabholiday

Post by cromercrabholiday »

We had a wet room that included basin and loo in our old house for our disabled son. It was a large room and the loo paper was the far wall from the shower and we never had any problems. We got some fantastic non-slip floor covering that was great - boring, but absolutely safe; I have a phobia about slippery surfaces after a nasty fall years back that had me in plaster for about 10 weeks, plus a pinned ankle.

You do need to avoid the Greek-style drainage system where the drain is at the highest point of the floor and you have to sweep the puddles into it or let the warmth dry them out!

In the project, we are planning a wet room, which will be smaller - maybe we need a separate loo?

John