What's in a name?

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

I've just realised that "Otter Lodge" is an anagram of "Good Letter". What could be more appropriate??

It's a sign, I tell you, a sign!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

GB - it's past your bedtime!

Take your medication now and up you go, like a good boy.

Mols :roll:
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
Austria

Post by Austria »

Hi,

I would be tempted to go for something that describes the area, PUT Windermere or the lakes into the name. This will help people find your site when doing web searches. The name otter is nice but is it Scotland or Ireland or Cornwall. Try and use a name that people would use when searching for accommodation of your type.

Good luck
Windy

Post by Windy »

I've just realised that "Otter Lodge" is an anagram of "Good Letter". What could be more appropriate??

I like that, but if it's a sign them you must have some lovely high quality WCs in your place as an anagram of Greenbarn Cottages is "great bogs entrance" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

:wink: :D :lol:

You guys:roll: ............and you reckon some of us gals are bonkers :D
[go on then Windy....... whats Torrevieja Villas??]
Windy

Post by Windy »

Well Big Sis

Air travel is obviously important as

"I love jet arrivals"

You have happy customers (at least at the start of their holidays

"let's arrive jovial"

and they all drink too much

"jar violates liver"

Is that about right?
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Windy wrote:

I like that, but if it's a sign them you must have some lovely high quality WCs in your place as an anagram of Greenbarn Cottages is "great bogs entrance" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Windy, our bogs is luxury, pure luxury. They even flush. :D
Windy

Post by Windy »

But are they inside?

And Mols

"assuming I was insane enough to want to holiday in this country"

I know what you mean - looking out across the Troutbeck valley this morning and seeing the fells bathed in sunshine, remembering yesterday - watching my son learning to mountain board in Kendal then an evening meal at Villa Columbina in Grasmere and then coffee and brandy on the decking watching the badgers eating peanut butter sandwiches and keeping an eye out for the shooting stars of the Perseid shower - you'd have to be mad to want to come here.

Er hang on.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's glorious here today ain't it Greenbarn?
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Hang on Windy - quote the full quote!

As I said, I spend much of my childhood exploring the LD and Scotland and got to know both areas well - my impression is that it may have been less touristy then. And indeed it is possible to get glorious weather in England - sometimes for as many as 2 days in succession.
However as an adult, I have never had a UK holiday which wasn't wrecked by lousy weather or over-priced accommodation or poor food. Add to that the sheer slog of getting anywhere on our overcrowded roads or our over-priced trains, and it just doesn't do it for me.

Chaqu'un a son gout.

Mols
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Windy wrote:But are they inside?
Of course - goes without saying. This isn't France, you know. :lol:
(Ducks hurriedly.)
It's glorious here today ain't it Greenbarn?
Yup, even over this side of the M6. Just watching a Red Squirrel having a feed outside our window, and wondering whether to pop over into the Dales with Lady GB. Decisions, decisions.
Windy

Post by Windy »

However as an adult, I have never had a UK holiday which wasn't wrecked by lousy weather or over-priced accommodation or poor food.
I have all of this in spades across on your side of the channel too Mols. We had two very sad and drizzly weeks in France last year in July with no restaurant within walking distance as like many French restos these days the local joint had simply decided not to open in the week.

We still enjoyed ourselves though and made the best of it, although we could have stayed in the Lakes though and had a far better holiday without having to fork out a fortune in petrol and ferry crossings.

As to weather - the Lake District is made for all weathers and you just need to come with right attitude. Sure if you come expecting to sunbathe for a week then you've probably chosen the wrong place.

I think enjoying a holiday is often about your own frame of mind and expectations as it is about where you actually go.

(and here in the UK at least we don't have to worry about a rubbish exchange rate as well :wink: )

"Horses for courses" :lol:
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Blimey Windy thats impressive...

You have happy customers (at least at the start of their holidays

"let's arrive jovial"

and they all drink too much

"jar violates liver"

Is that about right?
Youve met my guests then :wink:

The Lake districts a lovely part of the country..... .nearly as nice as Norfolk :wink: :D
I think enjoying a holiday is often about your own frame of mind and expectations as it is about where you actually go.

aint that the truth Ive said the same soo many times :wink: :)
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

It's not just the Lake District, Windy - on the one and only time we struggled down to Cornwall - it rained solidly for two weeks, in August. And I do mean all day and every day.

Various jaunts all over the country have suffered similar fates or other unpleasantnesses.

And indeed holidays are precious, so we invest a lot of hope in them, and we all have different hopes and expectations.

Obviously you went to the wrong part of France - in our locale they'd rather cut their hand off than close in July!

Mols :wink:
may

Post by may »

what's in a name... my cat goes to a lovely cattery... never bothered me which cage she was placed in as they are all big with ample outdoor space (and electric blankets for winter!), but now all their accommodation has been given individual names and I'm always pleased when she is put in the Elterwater suite, and a bit miffed when she goes in the Bowness suite!
Windy

Post by Windy »

Ah well - the Bowness suite will be crowded and full of goose sh*t wheras the Elterwater suite will have a nice pub (the Britannia) so that seems quite reasonable :lol: