En-suite bathroom or sauna?

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Cath

En-suite bathroom or sauna?

Post by Cath »

Hi! I would be grateful for everyones opinion regarding the neccessity of having en-suite bathrooms. The weather here in North Wales has been just so dreadful over the past month that we are already worrying what our poor future guests are going to do with themselves even though we haven't our conversion! Ideally we would like to put in some "leisure" facilities: hottub/sauna/steamroom/ bit of gym equipment in a log cabin but as our garden is listed we will have real trouble getting planning consent. So as an early interim measure we are hoping to put in stand alone sauna cabins in each cottage which would mean that in one we would have to "give-up" one en- suite bathroom. The cottage would still have 1 bathroom and 1 shower room for 3 bedrooms/6 people but none of the bedrooms would be en-suite. Do you think this is an issue? Should we forget about sauna in this cottage? Sorry so long winded. Many thanks. Cath
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Personally, I think a sauna should be an additional extra, not a replacement for a bathroom, especially because saunas are not universally loved by everyone. My mother loves to spend time in a sauna, whereas I can't stand to be in one for more than a few minutes. But we both love an en-suite bathroom.

What about instead remodeling one (or more) of the bathrooms to include steam showers? That's a high-end amenity, and it would add functionality rather than take some of it away.
Brooke
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I'd go for the en suite bathroom and make sure you have plenty of indoor entertainment available (TV, DVDs, boardgames, maybe Playstation etc.)
I don't think anyone in their right minds goes on holiday to North Wales for the sunshine, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. It is a beautiful place, even in the rain.
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

I would keep the ensuite.
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

We have had a sauna for 3 years and it is very rarely used. We gave a cellar so plenty of space - and many Germans want to book somewhere with a sauna even if they never actually use it (mainly skiers). For us it is strictly a PR item - it is possibly used twice a month through the whole year. Other people with saunas say the same. Strictly a minority interest and even those who say 'Wow, great' don't usually actually use it. And it is available to 9 apartments now (one apartment at a time).
enid

Post by enid »

I would keep the en suite.

We have a health suite with sauna and hot tub - the sauna hasn't been used at all by guests this season - the hot tub has been a huge favourite. We didn't create the health suite for guests - it was really for us and they can use it - hubby is a sauna fanatic.
paolo

Post by paolo »

I am a sauna fanatic too, but I have only ever met about two other people in my life who like them, so you should go for an en suite I'm afraid.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

en suite for me too!

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Ju

Post by Ju »

Definately go for the en-suite. Don't forget a sauna will have running costs associated with it.
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

en suite.
Cheers
PC
elena

Post by elena »

Like Margaret we had a sauna in our hotel before moving to France and it was rarely used - it did pull in a few people though - walkers, cyclists etc who probably thought it would ease their aching limbs! But in the event most settled for a chilled beer instead. We eventually got rid of it and didn't miss it.
I'd go for the ensuite.

Elena
Dordogne Holiday Cottages
The Stig

Post by The Stig »

Definitely the ensuite- it's one of the biggest downsides to most rental properties, not having proportionate bathrooms to head count.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

ensuite, and put in whirlpool baths. A lot of our guests comment on ours, and the incremental cost when you're installing from scratch isn't that great. Just make sure you put a big notice warning against using bubble bath, or you may never find your guests.......... :lol:
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

The Stig wrote:Definitely the ensuite- it's one of the biggest downsides to most rental properties, not having proportionate bathrooms to head count.
And what is the proportionate headcount to bathrooms? Visit England, for example, require 1 bathroom per headcount of 8 for a 4* property.
enid

Post by enid »

Wow - I'm 8* then :wink: