so when do we stop ?

For everything specific to B&Bs as opposed to holiday rentals.
pete

so when do we stop ?

Post by pete »

sitting waiting for some guests who are staying the weekend, changeover sat, sun and mon, and then a few days off till next weekend, ditto following week etc

we have booked a week away in the near future, and all the recent bookings are very short notice, so are they going to stop soon ?

this is the first year that we have been busy so we really dont know what to expect - are bbs that different to gites ?
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

The question is "Do you want to stop ?"

If you want a week off perhaps ask yourself: Who is the boss around here ? :lol:
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
La Chouette

so when do we stop

Post by La Chouette »

We have bookings (not many) right up to the end of October and by the time we get there I know that there'll be others as I don't think there's a month in the year when there's no-one at all.

As e-richard says...when do you want to stop? If you're going away, then do it! There'll be other bookings along - you oculd spend your life waiting for a B & B booking.

Jan - with no-one arriving until 21/9
pete

Post by pete »

Last year we had no one in November and one night in December, didn't know if this is what we could expect this year ?
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Don McCullin said:
... waking up to an uncertain day.
Pete, I came early (20s) to self-employment because I couldn't find anybody to give me a job! But it's been a ball and I've loved every minute. Surf the crest when you get a big contract and hunker down when the work dries up. No work at the start of the week and flat-out by Thursday. And, when you're winding down at the end of an intensive period, remember that being that busy was all down to you and your smart moves. And raise a glass or two to yourselves.

Jim
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Self employment - the highs and the lows......! You must take a break, all work and no play etc etc, but I know its hard when every penny counts. Clearly you can see that you are heading into the lower season, so just pick a week with no bookings and then hold firm - even if a booking comes along!

My son who is a photographer/assistant at the start of his career is learning the hard way that the work comes in peaks and troughs.....he just needs to learn to put the money away from earnings to pay for when the work isn't forthcoming!
pete

Post by pete »

well, thanks all, done it now, booked some days away in november, and planning one night at the other end of the Loire for end of september and mrsp is thinking jan as well !!!!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

pete wrote:well, thanks all, done it now, booked some days away in november, and planning one night at the other end of the Loire for end of september and mrsp is thinking jan as well !!!!
Well done Pete and mrs pete!
I find it very hard to say no to bookings, this is my eighth year and I still haven't had a holiday except for a couple of long weekends. I'm going to reserve the first week in Nov and a week in the February holidays from now on, so no bookings in those weeks. Easter to end October is pretty much fully booked and as I'm restricted by school holidays, those are the only possibilities.
I hope you enjoy your well earned break.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I'm going to reserve the first week in Nov and a week in the February holidays from now on
And well done you too LV...have you chosen your spot for November yet?

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Titti

Post by Titti »

I would look around at what other similar businesses do in your area. Here in Assisi, central Italy, the last two weeks of July is low season and many of the hotelier go on holidays. We close for one week.

Then hardly anybody is around from end November to March. after the first couple of years we figured out that the costs of heating were so high that we made a loss by keeping open during the winter for the occasional visitor. Now we are closed, closed, closed! Ah!